Muller defends under-fire Ribery

first_imgFranck Ribery has been defended by Bayern Munich team-mate Thomas Muller after the Frenchman launched an expletive-filled rant at those who criticised him for eating a golden steak.The former France forward posted a video on social media during the recent Bundesliga winter break which showed him eating the £1,000-per-serving ($1,273) steak.That led to widespread outbursts against Ribery’s seemingly lavish lifestyle and arrogance, with journalist Audrey Pulvar in particular insisting Ribery should be putting his money into more worthy causes than golden steaks.  Article continues below Editors’ Picks ‘There is no creativity’ – Can Solskjaer get Man Utd scoring freely again? ‘Everyone legged it on to the pitch!’ – How Foden went from Man City superfan to future superstar Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? The winger then made his aggressive response, but Muller said: “In those moments when he feels unfairly treated, where he is badly attacked, the horses go through with him and he just can not control himself.””He is a very emotional person, as he has experienced [criticism] so far in his entire career so far,” Muller continued. “But I think that it has become better in the course of his career, even if it is always such situations. It is also true that he is attacked a lot.”Asked if the Bayern players have been discussing Ribery’s off-field issues, Muller said they have been respectful to the 35-year-old: “Of course you talk about it at the table, but it’s more of a private matter.”No better way to start the year than with a dash of salt and a visit to my Turkish brother 🇹🇷👌🏼 #SaltBae #fr7👑 #ELHAMDOULILLAH🤲🏽♥️ pic.twitter.com/O5ztj4mueq— Franck Ribéry (@FranckRibery) January 3, 2019Bayern are currently second in the Bundesliga, six points behind Borussia Dortmund, and are not due to feature again until January 18 when they travel to Hoffenheim after the end of the league’s winter break.Ribery has already announced he will leave the German champions at the end of the season, along with Dutch forward Arjen Robben, after 12 years in Munich.Bayern have made a number of offers for Chelsea youngster Callum Hudson-Odoi, who they view as a replacement for the two departing wingers, and Niko Kovac recently confirmed the club’s interest in the 18-year-old.last_img read more

Read More

Amid continued suffering in Yemen UN envoy welcomes reports of reduced violence

Mr. Griffiths was addressing the Council alongside Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs, Mark Lowcock, and World Food Programme (WFP) Executive Director, David Beasley.The Special Envoy announced that the Yemeni Government and the Ansar Allah Houthi militants, are both committed to working on a political solution, and that he has received firm assurances from both sides, of a renewed commitment to attend talks.The UN, said Mr. Griffiths, is about to conclude an agreement between the parties on the exchange of prisoners and detainees, which he described as an important humanitarian gesture and “a timely message of hope to the Yemeni people.”Mr. Beasley and Mr. Lowcock both provided new details of the unfolding humanitarian crisis – the largest food security emergency in the world.Mr. Lowcock revealed that, despite calls for the violence to stop, UN sources have observed nearly 800 separate incidents of shelling, armed clashes, or air strikes across Yemen; often with devastating consequences for civilians and, due to the fighting, humanitarian programmes have been scaled back in the port of Hudaydah, a crucial gateway for aid efforts.Mr. Beasley, fresh from a three-day visit to Yemen this week, said that he had witnessed a country on the brink of catastrophe: “What I have seen in Yemen this week is the stuff of nightmares, of horror, of deprivation, of misery. And we – all of humanity — have only ourselves to blame.”“What I have seen in Yemen this week is the stuff of nightmares, of horror, of deprivation, of misery. And we – all of humanity – have only ourselves to blame.” David Beasley, WFP Executive Director.Describing what he saw at a hospital in the Yemeni Capital Sana’a, Mr. Beasley said that there were dozens of severely sick and malnourished children, with around 50 cases arriving every day: “they only have room for 20. The rest? They go home to die.”Restarting Yemen’s collapsed economy was identified by Mr. Griffiths as a main priority, and a “moral responsibility and obligation of the parties to the Yemeni people” He announced that he would soon convene a meeting of the Central Bank of Yemen, facilitated by the International Monetary Fund (IMF).The price of simple basic food staples in Yemen has doubled in the last eight months, said Mr. Beasley, even as household livelihoods are shrinking: “for a country that’s dependent on imports for the basic needs of life, this is disaster.”Mr. Lowcock added that Saudi Arabia has helped to stabilise the Yemeni rial, depositing $200 million with the Central Bank of Yemen, which has helped to finance imports of food and other essential commodities, but substantially greater funds for humanitarian assistance will be needed, given the growing challenges faced by Yemen.The UN Secretary-General António Guterres plans to convene a high-level conference on Yemen with a focus on the 2019 Humanitarian Response Plan, in February. read more

Read More