iStock/Thinkstock(WASHINGTON) — He is 12, and in a shelter in Maryland, nearly a thousand miles from his family.When Brayan Cáceres’ grandmother in Florida was finally able to talk to the boy after he had been detained with family at the border and sent to Maryland, “He was crying. He didn’t understand what was happening,” Rosa Cáceres, the grandmother, said.Now when she talks by phone with the child, “He asks me when we are going to see each other, and I don’t know what to say. Sometimes I’m scared they will never give him back to me… With the authorities here, anything can happen.”A traumatic pastBrayan is one of about 2,000 children who have been recently separated from family members trying to cross the U.S. border.He is from Honduras, a country that has become wracked by violence and the home to many of the migrants now trying to reach the United States.About two years ago, Brayan’s mother was found murdered in her home’s septic tank.The main suspect was a boyfriend who had been living with the mom and Brayan since her separation from her son’s father. The boyfriend, according to Cáceres, had been violent to both the mother and son, and was arrested in the mother’s killing. But he was later released, the grandmother said.After the traumatic loss of Brayan’s mother, his grandmother worries about the effect on him of living more than 900 miles from any family.“At first when his mother died he was terrified of the dark, of being alone … It was terrible to know that he was alone in that place [the shelter in Maryland] after what he’s been through,” said Cáceres, 48, who has been in the U.S. since 2007 and lives in Kissimee in central Florida.They traveled by foot, bus and on top of trainsIt began for Cáceres with a call in early May informing her that her child was in custody at the U.S.-Mexico border in California. She assumed it was a mistake since her youngest child, a teenager, had just spoken to her by phone from Honduras.Later she learned that her adult son, José, had traveled to the U.S. border with Brayan; the boy’s stepmother, Nubia; and José and Nubia’s youngest child, Yahir, a 4-year-old boy.The family had come on the so-called Way of the Cross caravan, an organized group of mostly Central American migrants that travels together for protection as they make their way through Mexico to the U.S.José, Nubia and the two young boys came by foot, bus and on top of trains, and when they reached the U.S. they turned themselves in to authorities, Cáceres said.Two days later, Brayan was taken from his father, and did not know why, Cáceres said.The father, José, is back in Honduras after signing a deportation order when he met with immigration officials, according to Cáceres. The circumstances around his deportation are unclear. He also signed a notarized document granting custody to his mother, she said. The Department of Homeland Security declined to comment except to confirm that, “Jose Bartolo Caseres Caseres illegally entered the U.S on May 4, 2018, and was processed for removal. On May 22, 2018, he was removed to Honduras.”But where was the 4-year-old?The grandmother meanwhile said she didn’t know for about 10 days what happened to her youngest grandchild, 4-year-old Yahir, or his mother.“I was desperate, I called every number I saw in the news, I looked for their faces in the TV reports,” Cáceres said. “I was very scared because [Yahir] was born prematurely and he has always been a small and sickly child.”Then she got a call from Nubia from a jail near the border, Cáceres said. She said the boy’s mother asked for money for food because the child had a high fever and was refusing to eat the jail’s food.Nubia and her son were released soon after, and Cáceres paid for them to travel by bus from Texas to her Florida home. They are preparing to file an asylum claim.Brayan remains in Maryland, where according to his grandmother he shares a cottage with 11 other children and is able to make a 20-minute phone call twice a week.The shelter is run the Board of Child Care in Baltimore, which is affiliated with the United Methodist Church, according to the program’s website.It launched its migrant-child program in 2014, targeted at the time to unaccompanied minors who came to the U.S., to “offer care, safety, and support to a unique population in need,” the agency’s website says.ABC News reached out to the Board of Child Care but the agency declined to comment.Cáceres has been told that Brayan might be released around July 4, but, she said she has been given inaccurate or incomplete information before and is skeptical.Obstacles to reunificationCáceres, who is employed at a construction company in Florida, has help from a social worker to sort out paperwork to acquire custody of her grandson.She said she has had to submit a variety of notarized documents, including proof of her residence, a background check, fingerprinting and several documents sent from Honduras certifying their family ties to Brayan.Her one-bedroom apartment proved to be a problem, Cáceres said. The social worker told her she needed a larger place, a two-bedroom home, which has been a financial hardship. And because the area where she lives has been flooded with people fleeing from Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria, there is a shortage of affordable homes, with several families often sharing a single house.When Cáceres finally managed to navigate the home search, she said she was told that too much time had elapsed and she needed to start the process over.Cáceres has also had to submit documentation proving that she has enough income to support Brayan. She then started working as much overtime as possible, often working up to 12 hours a day. This, too, proved to be a problem because there would be no one to provide child care during those long hours.Now that Nubia and her child have joined her in Florida, Cáceres said she hopes to prove that Nubia can take care of the children while she works.“My son often tells me that he feels trapped in a dark tunnel with no way out. I tell him we have to keep pushing forward. Even if they are separated, things will be better once both children are with me,” Cáceres says.Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
A discovery in Norway may collapse a geological process by five or six orders of magnitude. A paper by Camacho et al. announced in Nature,1 yielded this comment by Simon Kelley (Open University, UK) in the same issue,2 “Conventional wisdom says that changes to crustal rocks pushed down deep when continents collide develop over millions of years. But it seems that some metamorphism may be caused by tectonic events lasting only a decade” (emphasis added in all quotes). The gist of the story is that certain rocks called eclogites, long thought to have formed slowly over millions of years, might have formed rapidly instead, maybe in only ten. The authors of the paper deduced that they could not have remained at the temperatures assumed for very long without losing all their argon. Kelley explains why the mixtures in the rock suggest conflicting requirements for their formation:The authors go on to estimate the temperature in the granulite lens during eclogite formation. Their conclusion – less than 400 °C – is a problem for the conventional interpretation of these rocks, given that a temperature of around 700 °C is required for the formation of the adjacent eclogites. Camacho et al. calculate that the total heating durations must have been around 18,000 years to explain the 40Ar-39Ar age profiles, but that individual fluid-flow events must have lasted just ten years to avoid significant heating of the granulite regions between the shear zones. This model evokes a radically different picture of the conditions during eclogite formation; but any alternative explanation would have to invoke a mechanism that explains why these phlogopites retained argon despite exceeding temperatures at which the gas would normally escape.Kelley explains why the overturning of this classic case of a slow process points out an assumption that may need just as radical an overturn: “However, the very short timescales involved will make this idea controversial, as existing work on garnet seems to indicate processes operating on a million-year timescale; but also, perhaps, simply because we geologists are attuned to thinking in millions of years, whereas the features we observe may be just the aggregations of many shorter events.”1Camacho et al., “Short-lived orogenic cycles and the eclogitization of cold crust by spasmodic hot fluids,” Nature 35, 1191-1196 (30 June 2005) | doi: 10.1038/nature03643.2Simon Kelley, “Geophysics: Hot fluids and cold crusts,” Nature 435, 1171 (30 June 2005) | doi: 10.1038/4351171a.Now there was a daring and honest admission: perhaps geologists are just in the habit of throwing around millions of years, when the features they observe could just as well be “aggregations of many shorter events.” Wow. Think about that. Here was a classic case of long ages from the Bergen Arcs in Norway that now must be reinterpreted. Neither Kelley or Camacho are claiming that this formation came into being recently, but it represents, nevertheless, a monumental shift in thinking about geological processes in general. Dr. Terry Mortenson did his PhD thesis on the origin of old-earth thinking. He found that most scientists until the late 18th century believed the earth was young, and that the revisions upward to millions of years were due primarily to theological and philosophical attempts to discredit the early chapters of Genesis. Darwin, of course, later found all that extra time essential for his theory of evolution. Today, biologists and geologists don’t dare question the vast ages because Charlie needs the time: in fact, Darwin was aggravated to a pique when Lord Kelvin robbed him of the millions of years he required (see 02/02/2004 entry). Geologists found ways to steal those years back using radiometric dating methods, and have relaxed in complacency with their textbook geologic column, mumbling out those millions & billions nonchalantly, without much challenge (at least among the Darwin Party brethren). But what if (as many other dating methods suggest) things are really not that old? Follow the chain links on Dating Methods for examples. These articles in Nature, the most prestigious scientific journal in the world, should be a wake-up call for geologists not to take vast ages for granite (which, by the way, also shows evidence of rapid formation; see 12/07/2000 entry).(Visited 11 times, 1 visits today)FacebookTwitterPinterestSave分享0
225 teams from across the state will converge on the Port Macquarie Regional Sports Stadium this weekend to compete in the 2014 New South Wales State Cup. Teams will compete across 14 divisions, ranging from under 20’s through to over 55’s at the three day event, which will be held from Friday, 5 December to Sunday, 7 December 2014. Approximately 4,000 participants will take part in the event, as well as over 250 referees, coming together to participate in one of the largest Touch Football events in the world. Round games will commence on Friday morning, running through the weekend with the finals concluding the tournament on Sunday afternoon. The first Grand Finals will begin at 12.40pm on Sunday, with the Mixed Open final at 2.25pm, Women’s Open at 3.05pm and the Men’s Open at 3.50pm.Teams from Papua New Guinea and Japan will also participate in the event.Unable to make it to the 2014 New South Wales State Cup? You can watch selected games live throughout the event on the TFA YouTube channel. Stay tuned to the website daily as we provide links to the chosen games.Friday, 5 December8.30am – Canterbury Bulldogs v Newcastle City Knights (Women’s Open) – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_jO_EUj7GQ 9.40am – Western Suburbs Magpies v Parramatta Eels (Men’s Open) – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSco2Uvo3HQ 12.35pm – Penrith Panthers v Murwillumbah Mavericks (Men’s Open) – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93-MEj87lbU 1.45pm – Manly Sea Eagles v Murwillumbah Mavericks (Men’s 20’s) – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHPaoYrq128 2.20pm – University of New South Wales Bullets v Papua New Guinea (Mixed Open) – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=291CAiVpu-0Saturday, 6 December8.00am – Easts Roosters v Wests Magpies (Mixed Open) – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQ_62lKQuE09.10am – Canterbury Bulldogs v Wests Magpies (Women’s Open) – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5iEMfDOkEg10.55am – Penrith Panthers v Canterbury Bulldogs (Men’s Open) – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5iEMfDOkEg3.00pm – Murwillumbah Mavericks v Wagga Wagga Vipers (Mixed Open ) – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdCMiEwmHuM4.10pm – Manly Sea Eagles v Wollongong Devils (Women’s Open) – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P38D4OhvL2s4.45pm – Hornsby Lions v Easts Roosters (Men’s Open) – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z7zuSDnbgw Keep in touch with all of the latest news and information from the 2014 New State Cup:Website – www.nswtouch.com.au and www.nswtaevents.sportingpulse.net Facebook – www.facebook.com/nswtouchTwitter – www.twitter.com/nsw_touch (#nswtasc14) Instagram – www.instagram.com/nswtouch Related LinksNSW State Cup
About the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say Liverpool attacker Shaqiri: Friends call me man who finished Mourinhoby Freddie Taylor10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveLiverpool attacker Xherdan Shaqiri has revealed friends have labelled him as the man who got Jose Mourinho sacked. The Swiss scored two goals to help Liverpool beat Manchester United 3-1.Mourinho was subsequently fired as United on Tuesday and Shaqiri has received some messages from his friends about the impact of his goals.”I had a lot of messages from my friends when it happened,” Shaqiri said in an interview with The Guardian.”There were a lot of good messages about the United game at first and then, when the news came out about Mourinho, I had messages saying: ‘That’s your fault!’ But this is football sometimes.”I don’t think it was just because we won that game that United wanted to change their manager.”There were other reasons but it means the game goes down in history. It will always be in my history too.”
LaLiga president Tebas: Morata to Atletico? Real Madrid and Neymar?by Carlos Volcano9 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveLaLiga president Javier Tebas has questioned whether Atletico Madrid can sign Chelsea striker Alvaro Morata.Tebas believes Atletico’s budget won’t stretch to cover Morata’s demands.He told AS: “They’re very limited; they would have to get rid of someone. I do not know exactly because that is what is needed for the economic controls.”Tebas was also asked about Real Madrid buying PSG star Kylian Mbappe or Neymar.He added: “Either one of the two. Or the two. I do not know if Florentino (Perez) wants to sign one of the two. We have worked hard on the brand and it is above the players because we have taken advantage of the synergy of the clubs. “What we do not know is how much more we would be favoured by them being here.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say