Captain Horace Burrell Captain Horace Burrell, long-serving president of the Jamaica Football Federation, has died. He was 67.Burrell died in the United States where he was being treated for cancer.A former member of the Jamaica Defence Force’s air wing, Burrell was largely responsible for Jamaica’s soccer team, the Reggae Boyz, qualifying for the 1998 World Cup in France.The brash Burrell acquired the services of Brazilian Rene Simoes as coach and recruited several British players of Jamaican heritage to the team in 1997. Along with quality homegrown players, the Reggae Boyz became the first team from the English-speaking Caribbean to qualify for soccer’s biggest tournament.Burrell was first elected JFF head in 1994. But for a brief period when he was voted out in the early 2000s, he oversaw Jamaica’s soccer program, seeing the Reggae Boyz to Caribbean titles and international recognition.He was also a respected businessman. Burrell operated The Captain’s Bakery and Grill and Captain’s Aviation Services.
Jamaica’s murder rate continues to climb unabated.Police blotters indicate that more than 900 murders have been committed on the island with some 285 days (seven months and 16 days) gone in 2017.PandemoniumOn the night of Tuesday August 15, pandemonium broke out at Chancery Lane in Kingston, close to the middle class community of Meadowbrook.A man was murdered in full view of people at a bus stop, route taxi operators and other members of the public at the busy intersection.The victim has been identified as 29-year-old Damain Forrester, of a Greater Portmore address in St CatherineForrester had left work and was standing by a section of the bus hub on Chancery Lane in Meadowbrook. The morning of that fateful day he had received a call that caused him to worry. “He was just not himself,” said a co-worker. “His wife just had a baby about one or two weeks ago. I don’t know but that call bothered him.”Killer dressed in blackAbout 9:47 PM a white car drove up near to where he was and as it stopped a man dressed in black from head to toe exited the vehicle. Then the car drove off. Damian was at the bus stop with co-workers. The man who had stepped out of the car was a killer.The killer calmly walked up to Forrester and shot him once in the head before walking off for a moment, turning back to his victim and pumping at least six more shots in his head as he lay on the ground. The shooting caused a mini stampede as bystanders scampered for cover.The gunman then rushed to the white car parked on another section of the roadway, for an easy escape.Damain had been working at a nearby supermarket for less than a month. Gang related, reprisals, domestic disputesThe troubling murder rate has the Jamaican authorities and law enforcement scratching their heads as lawless marauders run amok. Police in the island claim the majority of murders are gang-related, or reprisal killings. The police also claim a number of murders are the result of domestic disputes.Visitors to the island are rarely killed and make up about two percent of all homicides committed in the last decade.
Dominica will waive taxes on the importation of food and construction material.Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit says the Dominican government will waive taxes and duties on the importation of all food and construction material for six months. This policy is being adapted as Dominica begins the process of rebuilding following the devastation caused by Hurricane Maria when it swept across the island on September 18.Skerrit’s national broadcastIn a national broadcast on Friday night, updating citizens on the progress made since the storm, Skerrit said that his administration was now into the economic recovery phase of the rehabilitation exercise even though rescue efforts were still continuing.“We will stabilize and support demand in the economy. The government will try wherever possible to maintain the previous year’s level of government procurement, employment, wages, and routine operations,” Skerrit said.He said that the insurance of property in Dominica exceeds 100 per cent of the country’s gross domestic product (GDP), adding that not all insured properties are totally destroyed.Substantial insurance payout expected“But we expect substantial insurance pay-outs to be made over the next few months. We will work with local and international insurance companies and banks to expedite the arrival of loss assessors and the flow of insurance pay-outs at lower transaction fees. “Reopening of ports being acceleratedSkerrit said the authorities will also accelerate the full re-opening of all ports and ease the flow of goods through ports and is working with development partners to bring in the necessary equipment required to take the clearing and cleaning efforts to the next level.“We will waive taxes and duties on the importation of all food and construction materials for six months. This is a time of great national effort and personal sacrifice. We will not tolerate anyone taking unfair advantage of the situation. We will put in place a consumer watch dog in charge of ensuring there is no profiteering and price gouging,” he said, adding that he expects businesses, banks and credit unions to expand their services as quickly as possible to help normalize the situation.
The deadline for voter registration for the Fort Lauderdale Municipal Primary Election is Monday, December 18, 2017. The election is scheduled on January 16, 2018 at all Fort Lauderdale precincts. All persons who reside in the City of Fort Lauderdale who are United States citizens, at least eighteen years of age without a felony conviction, not adjudicated mentally incapacitated, are eligible to register and vote in this election.Online Voter Registration (OVR) is now available at www.browardsoe.org. The registration form may be completed in its entirety and forwarded electronically to the Broward Supervisor of Elections’ Office.Updates to an existing registration may also be completed online. If a voter does not have a signature on-file with The Supervisor of Elections’ office, the form must be completed, printed and returned to the supervisor’s office prior to the registration deadline, December 18, 2017.Broward County Supervisor of Elections’ Office115 South Andrews Avenue, # 102Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301Voting Equipment CenterThe Lauderhill Mall (Westside)1501 N. W. 40th AvenueLauderhill, FL 33313Dr. Brenda C. Snipes, Supervisor of Elections
Former football strongman, Jeff Webb, has had his sentencing on corruption charges put back for the sixth time.The former CONCACAF president and FIFA vice-president was expected to be sentenced on Wednesday but the courts earlier this month, pushed the date back until March 7.The latest delay marks over two years since Webb pleaded guilty to racketeering conspiracy, three counts of wire fraud conspiracy and three counts of money laundering conspiracy.Forfeiting over US$6.7 million Webb, a former head of the Cayman Islands Football Association, has already agreed to forfeit more than US$6.7 million in cash and assets as part of an agreement with the courts.He is reported to have recently sold his near million-dollar Georgia mansion, with proceeds expected to have been turned over to the court as part of the agreement.Webb, at one point tipped to become FIFA president, was one of several high-profile football officials arrested during a pre-dawn raid in Zurich in May, 2015, as FIFA staged its annual meeting at a plush hotel.Included in 47-count indictmentHe was subsequently included in a 47-count indictment announced by the US Department of Justice, with Trinidadian former Jack Warner – a former CONCACAF chief and powerful FIFA vice-president – also named.“The indictment alleges corruption that is rampant, systemic, and deep-rooted both abroad and here in the United States,” then US Attorney General Loretta Lynch said.“It spans at least two generations of soccer officials who, as alleged, have abused their positions of trust to acquire millions of dollars in bribes and kickbacks.”Webb had assumed the role of CONCACAF president following the cash-for-votes scandal that shook Caribbean football and led to Warner’s resignation.He has been banned for life by FIFA, football’s world governing body.
Four former calypso monarchs and five women are among 15 artistes selected to challenge reigning Calypso Monarch and nine-time title holder Dr. Hollis “Chalkdust” Liverpool as the Carnival celebrations heads towards the climax in Trinidad and Tobago next week.The 15 contestants were chosen following Saturday’s “Calypso Fiesta” held at Skinner Park in the southern town of San Fernando.Among the artistes making it to the final on Sunday at the Queen’s Park Savannah are former monarchs, Kurt Allen, Michael “Sugar Aloes” Osouna, Karene Asche and Sandra “Singing Sandra” Des Vignes-Millington.The other finalists are Aron St. Louis, Alana “Lady Watchman” Sinnette-Khan, Carlos “Skatie” James, Dexter “The Stinger” Parsons, Helon Francis, Joanne “Tigress” Rowley, Michael “Protector” Legerton, Myron “Myron B” Bruce, Rondell Donawa, Selvon “Mistah Shak” and Stacey Sobers.The judges have also named former monarch Roderick “Chuck Gordon” Gordon, as a reserve.Among those not making the final cut is Weston “Cro Cro” Rawlins, whose tune” Belated’ takes a jab at members of the Trinidad and Tobago government, for turning their backs on him, was a crowd pleaser.
NASSAU, Bahamas, CMC – Governor General, Dame Marguerite Pindling, is stepping down from office after serving as head of state since 2014, according to an official statement.The Cabinet office in the statement said that Dame Marguerite, the wife of the late former prime minister Sir Lynden Pindling will step down on June 28 this year. It gave no reasons for the decision.Dame Marguerite, 87, was the second female Governor-General after Dame Ivy Dumont.The statement said that diplomat, Cornelius A. Smith will be appointed as the next Governor General of The Bahamas with effect from June 28.According to the statement, Smith is a committed civic-minded individual who has, for more than half a century, provided leadership to the Bahamian community and social and civic organizations, including the Chamber of Commerce and the Kiwanis and Rotary organizations.A community and political activist from the seventies (1970s), he is a founding member of the governing Free National Movement (FNM), the statement noted.Smith, 82, has served as a senior Cabinet member and as Ambassador/Permanent Representative to the Organization of American States (OAS) and Non-Resident Ambassador to Mexico, Malaysia and Columbia.He presently serves as the country’s non-resident Ambassador to six Central American countries. He becomes the 10th Bahamian to hold the office of Governor General, the statement said.
BRIDGETOWN, Barbados, CMC – All-rounder Dwayne Smith returned to haunt his former team Barbados Tridents as Jamaica Tallawahs inflicted a demoralizing five-run defeat on the hosts Barbados Tridents, in a low-scoring, last-over thriller at Kensington Oval on Monday night.With Tridents needing 15 runs off the last over in pursuit of a paltry 128, Barbadian Smith – ignored by his home franchise in this year’s draft – then conceded only nine runs and grabbed the key wicket of Raymon Reifer, to deliver victory for Tallawahs.Tridents put their noses in front when Sandeep Lamichhane scrambled a single off the first ball and Reifer then cleared the ropes at square leg, leaving eight runs to get from the last four balls of the over.Reifer skied the third ball into the deep for a couple but Smith then exacted revenge off the fourth delivery, inducing the left-hander to loft a slower ball to Shamar Springer at deep cover.Tridents were still in with a chance with six runs needed off the last two deliveries but Smith kept Lamichhane scoreless off both in a dramatic finish.Opener Johnson Charles top-scored with a painstaking 31 off 35 balls while Reifer’s 26 came from just 12 balls down the order and managed to re-energised a feeble run chase.The result for the hosts extended their wretched run at the Oval to eight straight defeats dating back to the 2017 season, and was their fourth in six outings overall for the current campaign.Tallawahs, meanwhile, kept alive their slim playoff hopes with what was only their second win of the campaign – both coming over Tridents.Both teams now have four points but Tridents remain fourth courtesy of net run rate while Tallawahs lie fifth.
RelatedMayweather v McGregor: Fight Will End Early And “Won’t Go The Distance”, Says MayweatherAugust 11, 2017In “Sports”VIDEO: Watch Floyd Mayweather Claim McGregor Is “Extremely Heavy”, Won’t “Make The Weight”August 22, 2017In “Sports”VIDEO: Watch Jose Mourinho Give His Verdict On Mayweather Vs McGregor FightAugust 25, 2017In “Sports” Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor had to be pulled apart as the pair engaged in a brawl at the opening event of a week long build up to “The Money Fight”.Undefeated Mayweather will square up against UFC fighter cum boxer McGregor in Las Vegas this Saturday, August 27 in a potentially most lucrative bout in boxing’s history.29-year-old Irishman, Conor McGregor, who will be making his boxing debut against Mayweather, told reporters after the scuffle: “He needs to be put to sleep,”“He will wake up a better man. I am going to do that for him.”
The Madrid City Council yesterday approved the motion to name a Sports Center after former Super Eagles goalkeeper, Wilfred Agbonavbare.The motion moved by Councillor Paco Perez during Wednesday’s plenary session recommended renaming the Alberto Garcia Sports Center at Rua Reguera Tomateros after the late Agbonavbare. Wilfred ‘Willy’ Agbonavbare who died on 27th January 2015 at the age of 48 is a cult hero in Vallecas haven played for Rayo Vallecano between 1990 and 1996.He was a member of the Super Eagles team that won the 1994 Africa Cup of Nations in Tunisia and also reached the round of 16 at the United States World Cup in the same year.RelatedWilfred Ndidi Rated Top Passer in the EPLDecember 1, 2018In “England”Leicester City’s Wilfred Ndidi Weds Longtime GirlfriendMay 18, 2019In “Lifestyle”Ndidi Set To feature Against Czech RepublicJune 3, 2018In “England”