Fire at eatery forces closure

first_imgPASADENA – An early morning fire Friday that damaged the front portion of Burger Continental will keep the more-than-40-year-old restaurant closed at least through this weekend, its owner said. A passer-by noticed smoke coming from the building at 535 S. Lake St. and called 9-1-1, Pasadena Fire Department about 12:50 a.m., spokeswoman Lisa Derderian said. Firefighters arrived within minutes and had the fire out by 1:20 a.m. However, the restaurant sustained significant damage to the walls, attic and roof in its front section, Derderian said. No injuries were reported, and the fire was contained to the restaurant. Six fire engines, three firetrucks, one ambulance, and one air utility were dispatched to the scene, she said. Owner Harry Hindoyan said, while the fire caused quite extensive damage, he plans to reopen as soon as possible. “Everything’s fine. We hope to be open by Monday,” he said. [email protected] (626) 578-6300, Ext. 4586 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.Firefighters used newly acquired technology to help douse the flames, she said. “We used our thermal-imaging cameras and found an extension of the fire inside the wall and were able mitigate it from spreading more,” she said. Adjacent buildings made of brick and concrete also helped keep the fire from spreading, she added. Pasadena police evacuated a grocery store behind the restaurant as a precaution during the fire, Derderian said. Officials preliminarily believe the fire began in the stove area in the kitchen, she said. last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *