Suspect arrested after mortar shell left outside Future TV headquarters in Beirut

first_img Forum on Information and Democracy 250 recommendations on how to stop “infodemics” January 14, 2021 Find out more News Help by sharing this information News Reporters Without Borders voiced solidarity today with Beirut-based Future TV, owned by the family of assassinated former Prime Minister Rafik Hariri, after a mortar shell wrapped in a plastic bag was found outside its headquarters on the morning of 24 June. A suspect was arrested later the same day.“We condemn this new attempt to intimidate the Lebanese media,” the organisation said. “We hope the arrest of a suspect will help the police to determine who was behind it.”Future TV editor in chief Imad Assi said: “A shell that was not meant to go off was found in a plastic bag at dawn in front of the main gate of the television building,” located on Spears Street, in west Beirut. “Explosives experts from the internal security forces were sent to the site, and later on military experts took the bomb away,” he said.A suspect was arrested on the evening of 24 June. He was identified thanks to close-circuit TV cameras outside the building. The authorities are now trying to establish whether the detainee acted on instructions from other persons or on his own initiative. They did not reveal his identity to the press.Future TV issued a statement linking the incident to “the series of explosions that Lebanon has witnessed since the start of the terrorist attacks, with the October 2004 attempt on minister Marwan Hamadeh and the Hariri assassination” in February 2005.Security sources said the arrest of a suspect could shed light on other explosives devices found in recent months on the Chouf road, in Koraytem and in Majdalyoun, Sidon, near the Hariri family home.Three journalists were targeted by unsolved bombings last year. Samir Kassir, a columnist with the daily An-Nahar, was killed when his car blew up on 2 June 2005 while An-Nahar general manager Gebran Tueni was killed by a car-bomb on 12 December 2005. Both were well-known and respected journalists who knew they were in danger after the Hariri assassination. May Chidiac, the star presenter of the Lebanese Broadcasting Corporation (LBC), was badly maimed when her car blew up on 25 September 2005. February 4, 2021 Find out more News Lebanon : Violence against reporters becoming more frequent in Lebanon LebanonMiddle East – North Africa June 26, 2006 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Suspect arrested after mortar shell left outside Future TV headquarters in Beirutcenter_img Receive email alerts November 11, 2020 Find out more to go further Organisation Follow the news on Lebanon Lebanese journalist found shot dead in car LebanonMiddle East – North Africa RSF_en Newslast_img read more

Read More

“EC, Govt Mandates Cannot Merely Rest On Paper” : Kerala High Court Calls For Effective Compliance With COVID Norms On Poll Counting Day

first_imgNews Updates”EC, Govt Mandates Cannot Merely Rest On Paper” : Kerala High Court Calls For Effective Compliance With COVID Norms On Poll Counting Day Lydia Suzanne Thomas30 April 2021 7:41 AMShare This – xThe Kerala High Court has, in a strongly-ordered enjoined the Election Commission of India, District Collectors (District Electoral Officers), and Commissioners/Superintendents of Police to ensure effective compliance with COVID protocols on the day votes polled in the Kerala Assembly Elections are counted. A Division Bench of Justices Devan Ramachandran and MR Anitha ordered, “We are certain that the directives of the Election Commission of India and that of the Government cannot merely rest on paper, as it seemingly were when the election campaigns had been completed. This Court cannot, therefore, afford to allow anything to chance, when our State is in the brink of a precipice.” The Court’s observations came in response to a writ petition moved by lawyer Dr KP Pradeep who appeared in his case in-person. His petition sought a declaration that all kinds of public and social gatherings, processions or parades in the ‘name of election oriented or organisational activities by the political parties’ be termed unconstitutional and illegal when COVID-19 protocols are in force. Declaring that the averments presented a compelling public cause, the Court directed strict compliance with all directives issued by the State Government and Election Commission. To this end, the Court suo motu impleaded the Election Commission and ordered notice to Election Commission’s Standing Counsel Deepu Lal Mohan. State Attorney K V Sohan submitted that the state was fully alive to the situation and that Election Commission’s directives from August last year, its recent order dated April 27, and Government Order dated April 26 would be scrupulously implemented. Underscoring that the social distancing protocols are “acme” in the backdrop of the steep rise in cases, the Bench said, “Prima facie, we cannot view this writ petition to be adversarial, since the averments, in its inherent nature and tenor, present a compelling public cause…The upward curve of the pandemic statistics is climbing by the day, reminding all of us to act responsibly and with extreme care. The ‘social distancing’ protocols are acme and need to be enforced effectively and unreservedly, no matter the excuse some may make against it.” The Court therefore called for strict prevention terming it “the need of the hour”. The Bench underscored the importance of preventing gatherings over “the initiation of punitive action after infractions”. Recording the State Attorney’s submissions, the Court directed the respondents to take “effective and requisite steps” to “ensure that no social or political assemblages, meetings, gatherings, processions or parades of any kind – be that celebratorial, cheering or otherwise – in violation of the COVID-19 protocols” took place. The Bench also urged the respondents to make sure there were no infractions of the directives of the Election Commission of India… and the mandate of the Government Order anywhere in the State of Kerala – including at the counting stations or Offices/establishments of political parties between 01.05.2021 and 04.05.2021. Additionally, the Court called for “swift and unreserved action to avert, avoid and prevent any violation of these orders under the applicable laws, including the Epidemic Diseases Act and the Disaster Management Act.” With these directives, the Court instructed that the matter be called on May 4 to verify compliance. Just last week, another Division Bench of the High Court comprising Justices Ashok Menon and Murali Purshothaman had recorded satisfaction with measures taken by the State Government and the Election Commission to prevent gatherings and crowds on May 2. “Regarding that we find that no specific order is required from this Court. The Government is at liberty to invoke the provisions of the Kerala Epidemic Diseases Ordinance, 2020 and take necessary action against the violators, and we are sure that the Government would be vigilant in implementing the available provisions,” the Court had said.Click here to download the orderTagsElection Commission Kerala High Court Justice Devan Ramachandran Justice MR Anitha COVID -19 Kerala Assembly Elections Next Storylast_img read more

Read More

Gardai “attacked” while investigating fatal collision in Bridgend

first_img WhatsApp Pinterest Gardai “attacked” while investigating fatal collision in Bridgend Pinterest Nine til Noon Show – Listen back to Monday’s Programme Twitter WhatsApp Google+ It’s emerged there were tensions in Bridgend when a crowd gathered shortly after a road incident which led to the death of a Derry man in his 20s.Gardai are investigating the circumstances surrounding the death of Emmet Mc Clelland, who was struck by a car close to the border just before midnight.A man was detained at the scene, he has since been released pending a file to the DPP.Speaking on the Nine ’til Noon Show this morning, Superintendent Eugene Mc Govern said the crowd which gathered disrupted the investigation, with reports that at one point, gardai came under attack.Superintendent Mc Govern says the situation became difficult……..Audio Playerhttp://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/eugene2.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume. Arranmore progress and potential flagged as population grows Community Enhancement Programme open for applications Important message for people attending LUH’s INR clinic center_img Facebook Homepage BannerNews Publicans in Republic watching closely as North reopens further RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Twitter Loganair’s new Derry – Liverpool air service takes off from CODA By News Highland – March 12, 2018 Previous article£1 million improvement plan promised by HE in Derry’s WatersideNext articleLack of high speed broadband in Letterkenny MD, unacceptable – Cllr McDaid News Highland Facebook Google+last_img read more

Read More

The marine system of the West Antarctic Peninsula: status and strategy for progress

first_imgThe West Antarctic Peninsula (WAP; figure 1) is one of the most climatically sensitive regions on Earth and one of the most variable. The strong climatic variability gives us the opportunity to study and understand how the ocean responds to—and gives feedback on—climate change, and hence to learn about the key mechanisms that are at work, which might apply around the Southern Ocean as a whole. Data coverage is still inadequate across the Southern Ocean (because of remoteness and harsh conditions) and, despite being better observed than many other regions around Antarctica, the nature of oceanographic and atmospheric change on the WAP is poorly constrained. This theme issue addresses some of the most important and pressing questions surrounding marine system variability at the WAP. How has the WAP changed and how will it change in future? What’s driving these changes? And why is there such an extraordinary degree of spatial and temporal variability in the region? These questions were addressed in two interlinked meetings held in 2017. A 2 day meeting was hosted in May at the British Antarctic Survey (BAS) in Cambridge, UK (co-sponsored by the Southern Ocean Observing System, the Scientific Committee for Antarctic Research and the Scientific Committee for Ocean Research), aimed at gathering and critically assessing a broad view from the international community on the gaps and challenges in WAP oceanographic research. A second meeting was held at the Kavli International Centre at Chicheley Hall, UK (funded by the Royal Society), specifically to identify the key outstanding biogeochemical questions relevant to the WAP, and how they could be addressed through tangible means, including through the integration of physical and biological studies. This theme issue features contributions from attendees of these two associated meetings, focusing on the physical and biological interactions that impact biogeochemical cycling along the WAP, with a view to elucidating the state of the art of the science and elucidating the overarching issues on which future research effort should be prioritized.last_img read more

Read More

Scoreboard roundup — 9/8/19

first_img Written by FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailiStock(NEW YORK) — Here are the scores from Sunday’s sports events:MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALLINTERLEAGUEMiami 9, Kansas City 0AMERICAN LEAGUETampa Bay 8, Toronto 3Texas 10, Baltimore 4Houston 21, Seattle 1Cleveland 5, Minnesota 2Chi White Sox 5, LA Angels 1Oakland 3, Detroit 1NY Yankees 10, Boston 5NATIONAL LEAGUECincinnati 4, Arizona 3St. Louis 2, Pittsburgh 0Washington 9, Atlanta 4Milwaukee 8, Chi Cubs 5Philadelphia 10, NY Mets 7LA Dodgers 5, San Francisco 0San Diego 2, Colorado, 10 inningsNATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUETennessee 43, Cleveland 13Baltimore 59, Miami 10Buffalo 17, NY Jets 16Philadelphia 32, Washington 27Kansas City 40, Jacksonville 26LA Rams 30, Carolina 27Minnesota 28, Atlanta 12Seattle 21, Cincinnati 20OT LA Chargers 30, Indianapolis 24San Francisco 31, Tampa Bay 17OT  Detroit 27, Arizona 27Dallas 35, NY Giants 17New England 33, Pittsburgh 3WOMEN’S NATIONAL BASKETBALL ASSOCIATION PLAYOFFSNew York 71, Atlanta 63Seattle 78, Dallas 64Indiana 104, Connecticut 76Los Angeles 77, Minnesota 68Las Vegas 98, Phoenix 89Washington 100, Chicago 86Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved. Beau Lundcenter_img September 9, 2019 /Sports News – National Scoreboard roundup — 9/8/19last_img read more

Read More

GDEB Awarded Further Work for Virginia-Class Subs

first_imgBack to overview,Home naval-today GDEB Awarded Further Work for Virginia-Class Subs View post tag: work View post tag: General Dynamics August 26, 2015 General Dynamics’ Electric Boat Corp., Groton, Connecticut, is being awarded an $8,1 million modification to previously awarded contract for the already accomplished procurement and manufacturing of onboard repair parts for Virginia-class submarines. This contract is for the definitization of a previously authorized unpriced task order.The contractor manufactured and procured onboard repair parts to be loaded onto the Virginia-class submarines upon delivery.Completed in May 2012, the majority of work was performed in Groton, Connecticut.The Supervisor of Shipbuilding Conversion and Repair, Groton, Connecticut, is the contracting activity.[mappress mapid=”16761″]Image: US Navy View post tag: Subs View post tag: Naval View post tag: class Authoritiescenter_img GDEB Awarded Further Work for Virginia-Class Subs View post tag: GDEB View post tag: Navy View post tag: Virginia View post tag: News by topic View post tag: americas Share this articlelast_img read more

Read More

Ocean City High School Student-Athletes of the Week

first_imgOcean City High School Below are the two Ocean City High School Student-Athletes of the Week. Both Billy Kroeger and Maggie Wallace received awards from Destination Athlete in the fall, and both are excelling in their sports today.Please enjoy this new feature from the OCSD Athletic Department and congratulate both Billy and Maggie when you see them next!Download (PDF, 411KB)Download (PDF, 459KB)last_img

Read More

Campaigning baker falls to competitive pressures

first_imgNorman Olley, a well-known baker and one of Rick Stein’s food heroes, has closed his business in Dereham, Norfolk, after falling sales left him with no choice. The self-proclaimed “campaigning baker” told British Baker he blamed the increasing dominance of the supermarkets, for the falling number of consumers coming to buy bread from his shop. “I’ve been trying to fight the big boys and everything they represent… but now they’ve finally got me,” he said.The North Elmham bakery, which Olley had run for 34 years, shut its doors on Saturday 16 January, after he had run through his finances the day before and realised he didn’t know where the money was going to come from to pay the bills and his staff their wages. “I thought it best to walk away now, rather than be pushed,” he said.The business, which employed eight people, comprised a shop in Dereham and a stall at Norwich market. The bakery also supplied between 30 and 40 wholesale clients in the local area, including schools.Sales had fallen over the past year, explained Olley. “A year ago I was taking around £1,500 a week on the market stall, but this has dropped to £500, and the business had been turning over around £5,000 a week, but this had dropped by around £1,200 a week on average.” Olley said he’d noticed falling customer numbers over the past five years as people chose to shop at the supermarket for their bread instead. Looking back, he said he probably should have closed about five years ago, “but being a baker you run business from your heart rather than your head”.last_img read more

Read More

Michigan Utility, in Announcing Retirement of 8 Coal-Fired Plants, Cites ‘Fundamental Transition’ in Utility Industry

first_img FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Robert Walton for Utility Dive:DTE Energy announced plans to retire eight coal-fired units at three Michigan locations, which combined to generate a quarter of the utility’s power last year.The company is shuttering its River Rouge, St. Clair and Trenton facilities, with the closures slated to take place in the next seven years.The new retirements, along with three others previously announced, will be replaced by wind, solar and natural gas. Closing the plants is a part of DTE’s “fundamental transformation” in how the it generates power, the company said.“The way DTE generates electricity will change as much in the next 10 years as any other period in our history,” DTE Energy Chairman and CEO Gerry Anderson said in a statement. Over the past five years, DTE has bolstered its renewable energy production, which now accounts for 10%  of the company’s total sales.The utility said it is working with the communities impacted by the plant retirements, and will transition employees working at these plants into new roles at other facilities.Shannon Fisk, Earthjustice managing attorney, said it is “critical” for the utility to not only ramp up clean energy investments, but also provide “a just economic transition for the employees and communities that have relied on the wages and taxes paid by these coal plants for the past more than forty years.”Full item: DTE to retire 8 Michigan coal units Michigan Utility, in Announcing Retirement of 8 Coal-Fired Plants, Cites ‘Fundamental Transition’ in Utility Industrylast_img read more

Read More

Property market ‘strong’ in Holland Park area

first_img267 Oates Avenue, Holland Park.A young Brisbane couple have bought a renovated four-bedroom, two-bathroom home at Holland Park for $910,000.Ray White Coorparoo selling agent Clinton Unnasch said the couple had previously been living at Bulimba.“They have two small children, the husband works in the city,” he said.Mr Unnasch said the home, at 267 Oates Ave, was nice and close to the freeway and there was plenty of room for a family to grow.More from newsCrowd expected as mega estate goes under the hammer7 Aug 2020Hard work, resourcefulness and $17k bring old Ipswich home back to life20 Apr 2020“They saw good value in what you get for money in Holland Park,” he said. 267 Oates Avenue, Holland Park.Previous owners Jeff Brook and his wife Monica sold their home of 16 years to be closer to their children’s schools.Mr Brook, an engineer, said he had three children, aged 11, 10, and 4. 267 Oates Avenue, Holland Park sold for $910,000.Mr Unnasch said the local property market was strong with many families looking to get into the area. “We had multiple offers on this property,” he said.last_img read more

Read More