Jamaica-born top-order batsman, Nkrumah Bonner, has been appointed captain of the Leeward Islands Hurricanes for their sixth-round WICB First-Class Champion-ship encounter against Jamaica Scorpions at the Sir Vivian Richards Stadium, starting next Friday. Bonner, who joined the Leewards at the start of the season as one of the franchise’s two overseas players, has been the team’s most consistent batsman to date. He is now the leading scorer for the Hurricanes and at the WICB Super50 one-day tournament in Trinidad and Tobago last month, he topped the batting for the eastern Caribbean team. It is the first time that a Jamaican is set to assume the post, with Bonner replacing Anguillan wicketkeeper, Jahmar Hamilton. The latter was the captain of the Hurricanes during the Super50. They did not advance from the first round. Young Antiguan batsman Orlando Peters, who was Hamilton’s deputy during the Super50, will serve as the 27-year-old Bonner’s vice captain. The Leewards are having a difficult season and are firmly entrenched at the bottom of the standings of the first-class championship on 13 points. This is 16 points off fifth place held by the Windward Islands Volcanoes. Trinidad and Tobago Red Force are fourth on 37 points with Jamaica third on 53, Barbados Pride second on 63, and leaders Guyana Jaguars on 85. Meanwhile, there is no place in the Hurricanes latest 13-man squad for their other Jamaican-born representative Odean Brown. The leg-spinner represented the franchise in the Super50 tournament, but did not play in all of the six first-round encounters. Leeward Hurricanes squad: Nkrumah Bonner (captain), Orlando Peters (vice-captain), Quinton Boatswain, Nelson Boland, Rahkeem Cornwall, Daron Cruickshank, Colin Hamer, Jahmar Hamilton, Monticin Hodge, Jeremiah Louis, Sherwin Peters, Jacques Taylor, Gavin Tonge.
Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Ministers responsible for meteorology in Africa are meeting to coordinate and accelerate regional efforts to strengthen resilience to extreme weather hazards and adapt to climate change.The Third Session of the African Ministerial Conference on Meteorology (AMCOMET) will be hosted by the government of Cabo Verde from 10th -14th February. It will focus on improving weather and climate services which are vital to food security, water management, disaster risk reduction and health, as well as key economic sectors like transport, energy and tourism, among others.“Every African country should be involved in the collective effort towards the transformative socio-economic development of the continent to build The Africa We Want envisaged in the African Union Agenda 2063,” said African Union Commissioner for Rural Economy and Agriculture, H.E Rhoda Peace Tumusiime.“National Meteorological and Hydrological Services are critical actors in supporting sustainable development. There is today increased awareness of the socioeconomic benefits delivered by weather and climate services,” said World Meteorological Organization (WMO) Secretary-General Michel Jarraud.Ministers will discuss the Integrated African Strategy on Meteorology (Weather and Climate Services), One of its aims is to increase recognition and funding for NMHSs. They will approve a new regional climate centre for Central Africa to consolidate research and forecasting capabilities. Ministers will also consider input from the meteorological community to a pan-African Space Policy and Strategy.“Knowledge, research and innovation are all vital to the competitiveness of the African economy and to allow us to meet weather, water and energy challenges,” said Dr. Antero Veiga, Minister for Environment, Housing and Territorial Planning“The recent devastating flooding in many parts of Africa, particularly Southern Africa, has highlighted once again how weather-related hazards undermine and disrupt social, political and economic development,” said Hon Saviour Kasukuwere, Minister of Environment, Water and Climate of Zimbabwe and the outgoing Chair of AMCOMET. “There is no doubt that the vagaries of weather and climate will play a critical role in shaping Africa’s development agenda. This requires a collective approach, unity of purpose based upon the shared vision on climate proofing of our beloved continent, genuine partnerships and commitment” Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
PNC General Council Meeting‒ deny persons were forced to attend eventAt their first General Council Meeting for the year 2017, leaders of the People’s National Congress Reform (PNCR) placed much emphasis on the need to develop employment opportunities for young people.PNC General Secretary Oscar ClarkeAddressing the gathering at the meeting held at the party’s headquarters, Congress Place, Sophia, Greater Georgetown, on Saturday under the theme “PNCR – Vanguard of a Green Economy”, PNCR Leader, President David Granger underscored the importance of providing employment for the young people of Guyana.“Despite the challenges, we have to find employment for the young people of Guyana. We have to develop the village economies; we have to start producing things at the village level,” Granger asserted, as he called on village leaders to take rebuilding of the village economy seriously. The Head of State committed Government’s support for such initiatives.Noting that it was imperative that employment be found for the young people of Guyana, the President said also that Regions must focus on education.During his feature address, the Party’s Leader also placed focus on the family, noting that society was founded on the family and the family was sacrosanct while urging party members to protect and preserve the family.Moreover, President Granger assured the Council that the PNCR was committed to the coalition Government. “The PNCR is committed to coalition politics; we are better together.”Speaking on the Diaspora, he added that “the Diaspora is vital to the PNC; it is a vital component. I trust the Diaspora and I believe in the Diaspora.”On the other hand, Party Chairman Basil Williams, SC, highlighted the developments that the Granger-led Administration has undertaken to date and the path ahead for further development. He also called on citizens to be cognisant and take advantage of opportunities that were being made available.“We must take up the many opportunities for employment that our pursuit of a ‘Green Economy’ together with the imminent ‘on-boarding’ of our oil and gas industries will bring,” Williams pointed out.Following the formal opening, plenary sessions examined the Party Leader’s address, the General Secretary’s Report and plans for the party’s 60th anniversary. A motion giving full support to the Government in the action that was taken to repossess the Red House, a National Heritage building, was presented to the General Council by the Vice Chairperson of the National Congress of Women (NCW), Carol Smith-Joseph.Meanwhile, the following day, the PNCR sought to refute claims that senior public servants were “requested” to attend its General Council Meeting.In a statement on Sunday, the party responded to an article published in the Sunday, January 22, 2017 edition of the Guyana Times under the caption: “PNC General Council Meeting: Granger assures commitment to coalition Govt …as senior public servants express displeasure at being requested to attend.”According to the PNCR, the General Council of the PNCR is an institution of the party that comprises only members of the PNCR. To this end, the statement outlined that “No Senior Public Servants were or are ‘requested’ to attend.”Furthermore, the party went on to highlight Article 16(1) of the PNCR’s constitution, which states that: the General Council shall comprise: (a) All members of the Central Executive Committee; (b) the Representatives of the Regional and Sub-Divisional Committees; (c) All PNCR Regional Chairmen and Vice-Chairmen; (d) all eligible persons who were candidates on the party’s list at the last General Election; (e) three representatives of the Guyana Youth and Student Movement (GYSM); (f) three representatives of the National Congress of Women (NCW); and (g) all Chairmen, Vice Chairmen of Local Democratic Organs, Mayors and Deputy Mayors who were elected to office on the party’s list of candidates.Guyana Times on Sunday reported that as the PNCR held its first General Council Meeting for the year 2017 under the theme “PNCR – Vanguard of a Green Economy”, the event was reminiscent of the 1970s confabs as it was insisted upon that senior public servants attend the event.However, this publication recieved numerous complaints from persons who were asked to attend the event.According to an upset senior Government official, the event was déjà vu to the Forbes Burnham era when public servants, despite their displeasure, were forced to attend the PNC’s General Council meetings.The General Council is the second highest decision-making forum of the PNCR.
“It’s going to be cheaper to fix it myself,” Murdock said. His neighbor, Robert Ostrom, can’t say the same. Approximately 20 to 25 asphalt shingles from his rootop and about 20 feet of trim from the roof of his his front porch were ripped off. “I heard some wind and the house shook like in an earthquake,” he said. Neighbor Norma Meisner, who heard “tiny footsteps” run across her rooftop at about 1:45 p.m. alerted Ostrom of the damage to his roof, which she noticed when she was inspecting her own home. WHITTIER – Three neighbors in a quiet cul de sac in unincorporated Whittier experienced what they called a “mini-tornado,” which damaged their roofs and outdoor furniture Monday afternoon. “I was sitting at the kitchen table,” said James Murdock, who lives on the 17700 block of Mayes Drive, “and I looked out the window and I saw the patio chair blow across the yard.” Murdock, who has lived at the same address for 14 years, couldn’t remember anything like it before. When the incident was over – after about 45 seconds – he surveyed his yard and saw a portion of his sheet metal roof was curled up and the blinds directly under it were shredded. Meisner and her husband, Kenneth, who have lived on the 15500 eastern block of Sharonhill Drive for 42 years, suffered damage to their patio furniture. “I couldn’t believe it when I saw the wind take the umbrella and the glass top,” Meisner said of the couple’s patio table. “And the weatherman said it was going to be a calm day,” Kenneth Meisner said just as he finished sweeping the broken glass. email@example.com (562) 698-0955, Ext. 3028160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
11 24. Gary Cahill (centre back) 11 4. Cesc Fabregas (attacking midfield) 21. Nemanja Matic (centre midfield) 19. Diego Costa (striker) 11 MK Dons v Chelsea in the fourth round of the FA Cup, kick off at 4pm on Sunday 31 January, is live on talkSPORT.Karl Robinson’s men, who secured promotion to the Championship for the first time in the club’s history last May, are looking to seal a major upset.Having dispatched four with no reply against Manchester United in the League Cup last season, Chelsea will be wary of their opponents, despite their poor form since moving up a division.So, with this in mind, will Guus Hiddink opt for a strong XI or will he place his trust in some of the Blues’ youngsters?Take a look at talkSPORT’s predicted Chelsea line up v MK Dons by clicking the yellow arrow above, right. 6. Abdul Baba Rahman (left back) 1. Asmir Begovic (goalkeeper) – see the full line up, in squad number order, by clicking the arrow above 11 11 17. Pedro (right wing) 11 12. John Obi Mikel (centre midfield) 11 5. Kurt Zouma (centre back) 11 11 11 11 10. Eden Hazard (left wing) 28. Cesar Azpilicueta (right back)
PASADENA – An early morning fire Friday that damaged the front portion of Burger Continental will keep the more-than-40-year-old restaurant closed at least through this weekend, its owner said. A passer-by noticed smoke coming from the building at 535 S. Lake St. and called 9-1-1, Pasadena Fire Department about 12:50 a.m., spokeswoman Lisa Derderian said. Firefighters arrived within minutes and had the fire out by 1:20 a.m. However, the restaurant sustained significant damage to the walls, attic and roof in its front section, Derderian said. No injuries were reported, and the fire was contained to the restaurant. Six fire engines, three firetrucks, one ambulance, and one air utility were dispatched to the scene, she said. Owner Harry Hindoyan said, while the fire caused quite extensive damage, he plans to reopen as soon as possible. “Everything’s fine. We hope to be open by Monday,” he said. firstname.lastname@example.org (626) 578-6300, Ext. 4586 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.Firefighters used newly acquired technology to help douse the flames, she said. “We used our thermal-imaging cameras and found an extension of the fire inside the wall and were able mitigate it from spreading more,” she said. Adjacent buildings made of brick and concrete also helped keep the fire from spreading, she added. Pasadena police evacuated a grocery store behind the restaurant as a precaution during the fire, Derderian said. Officials preliminarily believe the fire began in the stove area in the kitchen, she said.
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREOregon Ducks football players get stuck on Disney ride during Rose Bowl eventHer sentencing hearing was scheduled for June 2. “The court understood this was not something done on purpose or out of an abusive situation, but a tragic accident,” said Hatton’s attorney, Deputy Public Defender Craig Kennedy. As friends escorted Hatton out of the courtroom, Alexander’s father pointed at her and said, “It’s not over yet, it’s not over yet.” Neither of the boys’ parents knew Hatton. His mother, Nicole Wilson, had left Alexander and his brother with a friend, who in turn asked Hatton to watch the boys. Wilson testified about her son’s death during Friday’s hearing, blaming Hatton for not pulling Alexander from the tracks before the train hit him. Kennedy said that once she completes the parenting class, Hatton can ask to have her felony conviction reduced to a misdemeanor. Alexander’s death spotlighted the shaky system of child care on which young single mothers sometimes rely.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! SAN JOSE – A 21-year-old woman who was arrested after a toddler in her care wandered into the path of an oncoming train agreed to be sentenced to four years probation Friday as part of a plea deal that spared her from prison time. Katrina Hatton of San Jose was charged with felony child endangerment after 2-year-old Alexander Arriaga was struck and killed by the Amtrak train on Nov. 21. Under the deal approved by Superior Court Judge Jerry Nadler, she pleaded no contest to the charge and will have to pay up to $10,000 in restitution to the toddler’s family, attend parenting classes and undergo psychological counseling. If she had been convicted in a trial, Hatton had faced a maximum of 10 years in prison.
National Heritage Week takes place from Saturday, August 23 to Sunday, August 31 this year.The Heritage Council is encouraging people and organisations to get involved in National Heritage Week by organising an event in their town, village or community across Donegal.On-line registration is now open and all events must be registered by Saturday, May 31 in order to be included the free National Heritage Week Event Guide produced by The Heritage Council. You can register your event by submitting the details on-line at www.heritageweek.ie or by completing a ‘Heritage Week’ registration form available from The Heritage Council on 1850 200 878.The County Donegal Heritage Office, Donegal County Council will also be producing its free, pocket-size County Donegal ‘Heritage Week’ Event Guide that has proved so popular in recent years based on the information submitted to The Heritage Council.“Heritage Week was a tremendous success in County Donegal in 2013. We had over 100 events taking place at regional venues in the county and most of them were free” said Joseph Gallagher, County Donegal Heritage Officer.“Events included family open days, guided walks, built heritage open houses, heritage site visits, fieldtrips, exhibitions, illustrated presentations, photographic competitions, children’s activities, genealogical research, storytelling sessions, traditional music, craft fairs and traditional skills demonstrations.” National Heritage Week is coordinated by The Heritage Council and Local Authority Heritage Officers with support from Fáilte Ireland. This year’s theme is ‘Generations Exploring Heritage Together’.The principal aims of ‘National Heritage Week’ are to foster awareness of the built, cultural and natural heritage thereby encouraging its conservation and preservation and to raise interest in our shared European heritage.Speaking about National Heritage Week, Isabell Smyth, Head of Communications & Education at The Heritage Council said, ““As the numbers attending and taking part in National Heritage Week have increased, so too has the level of awareness and appreciation of our national heritage.“The week would not be such a success were it not for the commitment and dedication of our event organisers, many of whom give up their free time to organise events during National Heritage Week. National Heritage Week offers huge opportunities for communities to attract visitors to their area and experience the wealth of heritage, which in many cases remains unknown.”Where possible, events should be free of charge or offer special concession rates. The Heritage Council will promote Heritage Week nationally and provide organisers with materials including posters and a programme of events to promote their activities. For further information, log on to www.heritageweek.ie, e-mail email@example.com or telephone 1850 200 878 DONEGAL GROUPS URGED TO REGISTER FOR NATIONAL HERITAGE WEEK was last modified: May 12th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:donegalNational Heritage Week
IT’S the toughest race there is.But they’re made of tough stuff here in Donegal.So here’s a picture special from local entries in the Walled City Marathon in Derry on Sunday. And all the results are here:http://www.derrydaily.net/2014/06/01/walled-city-marathon-full-result-where-did-you-finish/ PICTURE SPECIAL: RUNNERS DO DONEGAL PROUD IN DERRY’S WALLED CITY MARATHON was last modified: June 1st, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:derry cityFinn Valley ACInishowen ACLIfford ACWalled City Marathon