5 Cong. MLAs join NPP in Meghalaya

first_imgEight MLAs, including five from the Congress, on Thursday joined the BJP ally at the Centre, National People’s Party (NPP), in poll-bound Meghalaya.All eight MLAs, who recently resigned from the Assembly, joined the NPP at a rally here.NPP spokesperson James K. Sangma said along with them, 10 members of the tribal autonomous district councils have also formally joined the party. The NPP is headed by Mr. James K. Sangma’s brother Conrad K. Sangma. Both are sons of former Lok Sabha Speaker P.A. Sangma.The eight MLAs had resigned from the State Assembly on December 29 last year and announced that they would be joining the NPP.last_img

Delhi University to extend sports quota reservation in PG courses

first_imgDelhi University (DU ) has now introduced a five per cent quota in post-graduate courses under sports category to encourage more and more students to take up sports and yet continue with higher academic education, reported Mail Today.The University only permitted admission under sports quota for Bachelor’s degrees till last year but now the facility has been extended for postgraduate courses.This way the students’ achievements till undergraduate level are not wasted. Head of Sports Council S. Dubey said that the decision to reserve five per cent seats in every course for acclaimed and certified performers in sports was taken so that more students get encouraged to pursue sports.Not only this, some students will also get direct admission under the sports quota. Officials said that students who have won accolades at national- and international-level sports competition will not be required to give trials for the admission under the quota.DU last year eased admissions under sports quota especially for chess players, shooters and archers, who will now have to undertake only one of the three fitness tests to qualify for trials.DU will start the process for admission to its under-graduate courses for academic year 2014-15 on June 2. The university has made many alterations in its admission process for academic year 2014-15.last_img read more

Desmond Tutu Calls For Urgent Action To Protect Syrian Children

first_imgSave the Children and other leading humanitarian agencies have published an open letter calling on the parties to the Syrian conflict meeting in Geneva to urgently focus on the plight of children.The 14 signatories also include Antonio Gutteres, UN High Commissioner for Refugees; Archbishop Desmond Tutu; David Miliband, President of the International Rescue Committee; Valerie Amos, UN Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Anthony Lake, Executive Director, UNICEF.The letter marks the first time top humanitarian agencies have come together to publicly call on all sides to take measures to allow lifesaving aid to reach children trapped inside Syria and prevent them from being targets of violence.More than 11,000 children have died in this conflict already, 71 percent of them killed indiscriminately by explosive weapons used in towns and cities.“With the parties in Syria’s conflict meeting in Geneva tomorrow, we believe the time has come to urgently focus on the plight of children. Over 11,000 Syrian children have already lost their lives,” reads the letter. “From the shelling of residential areas to attacks on schools and hospitals, children are being targeted. More than 4 million children have been forced to flee their homes, including over a million who have fled the country altogether. Many are traumatized, hungry, and in urgent need of shelter and protection. Scandalously, aid cannot reach the children who need it the most. Hundreds of thousands of children are trapped in conflict zones and are receiving little or no humanitarian assistance at all.“Every child in Syria who is hurt, or killed, or loses a loved one, represents yet another failure by the international community. We hereby commit to becoming champions for Syria’s children, speaking out for their rights at every opportunity. An entire generation is being lost to violence. All of us bear a responsibility to save these children.”Save the Children, the world’s leading independent organization focused on the needs of children, wants the Geneva II participants to make protecting children the first item on their agenda. It called on all parties to commit to the following:• Allow lifesaving aid to reach children inside Syria • Protect schools and health facilities • Prevent the use of explosive weapons in populated areas“Children in Syria are experiencing an unrelenting brutality of war. Four million children have been forced to leave their homes and children are frequent victims of violence that leaves them severely injured or dead. This tragedy is man-made, and it is within the power of the warring parties to stop it,” said Save the Children President & CEO Carolyn Miles.“The first item on the agenda at Geneva II must be protecting children,” Miles added. “The parties have already demonstrated the power of political will when they began moving chemical weapons out of Syria. We need to see the same political will to ensure that even if the fighting continues, children and other civilians are no longer targeted.”“Save the Children’s three-point plan to protect the children of Syria is about ending the appalling situation that places the most vulnerable directly in harm’s way. If parties to the talks come together to make these three things happen, fewer children will die. It is that simple,” Miles said.Save the Children has reached 900,000 people through its regional response to the Syrian crisis, including more than 300,000 within Syria Itself. The agency’s response includes supporting mothers to ensure babies are kept healthy and fed, preventing malnutrition and providing communities with food, safe water, medicine and shelter.Save the Children is also working to help children overcome their traumatic experiences through emotional support and play therapy, and helping them to return to getting an education.The agency said that approximately 4.5 million children inside Syria need assistance.last_img read more

Van Dijk Liverpool will bounce back

first_imgLiverpool defender Virgil van Dijk believes they will regroup and recover from their first Premier League defeat of the season at Manchester CityJurgen Klopp’s side unbeaten start came to an end on the 21st game with title rivals City claiming a 2-1 win to cut the gap down between them to four points.Roberto Firmino’s equaliser had given Liverpool hope of holding on for a draw following Sergio Aguero’s opener.But a 72nd-minute goal from Leroy Sane was enough for Pep Guardiola’s side to claim victory.However, Van Dijk is certain Liverpool will bounce back from this setback.“Disappointed that we lost, that is really obvious. [But] we’re four points clear, that is the main thing,” said Van Dijk on the club website.“Obviously the media has been making this game as big as ever but for us it was just another very important Premier League game. We knew it was going to be a very tough season and there will be ups and downs.Jose Mourinho is sold on Lampard succeeding at Chelsea Tomás Pavel Ibarra Meda – September 14, 2019 Jose Mourinho wanted to give his two cents on Frank Lampard’s odds as the new Chelsea FC manager, he thinks he will succeed.There really…“Here there was obviously a down but we have to keep going, keep bouncing back and that is something we are definitely going to do.“We just have to keep going. We will focus on recovering and make sure we are ready for the next game.”The Reds will next take on Wolves in the FA Cup on Monday night.21/38#PL pic.twitter.com/mtkiGWXYwG— Premier League (@premierleague) January 4, 2019last_img read more

Middlesex Sheriffs Office Receives State Grant For Popular Youth Summer Camp

first_imgCHELMSFORD, MA — The Middlesex Sheriff’s Office Youth Public Safety Academy (YPSA) will be able to expand its capacity by as many as 100 cadets this summer thanks to a $23,000 grant from the Executive Office of Public Safety and Security (EOPSS), Sheriff Peter J. Koutoujian announced on Wednesday.“Nearly 1,200 youngsters have applied to YPSA this year, and the continuing success of the camp comes from our terrific partnerships with our fellow law enforcement and government agencies,” said Sheriff Koutoujian. “Thanks to the Baker Administration and EOPSS, we will be able to hire two extra counselors and purchase the additional equipment necessary to accept 100 more cadets over the course of the summer. This grant will make a real difference in the lives of these youngsters who may not otherwise be able to attend YPSA.”This marks the second consecutive year the Middlesex Sheriff’s Office (MSO) has been awarded the grant through the Commonwealth’s Law Enforcement and Youth Partnerships Summer Day Program. The initiative, administered by EOPSS, is designed to support summer recreational and educational learning opportunities with local law enforcement.“We are honored to partner with the Middlesex Sheriff’s Office to allow more young people to take part in this valuable program,” said Secretary of Public Safety and Security Thomas Turco. “Creating strong, positive relationships between law enforcement and the community is a priority for us and one that is clearly shared by Sheriff Koutoujian and his team.”YPSA is a week-long camp designed for children ages 8-12 who live in Middlesex County. Cadets spend the week with MSO staff as well as police officers and firefighters from their hometown, forming important bonds with their local law enforcement officials. Cadets also participate in classroom and practical activities designed to teach them important public safety skills including a simulated fire safety trailer offered by the Massachusetts Department of Fire Services, a challenge course held at the Boys & Girls Club of Greater Billerica, and demonstrations offered by the MSO and partner agencies.The Academy is run at the MSO Training Academy in Chelmsford, with transportation, breakfast and lunch provided for each cadet. YPSA runs for six, one-week sessions each summer. Spots remain available for cadets in several communities including, but not limited to, Arlington, Bedford, Belmont, Cambridge, Hudson, Maynard, Natick, Newton, Waltham and Watertown. Families can register their children by going to https://www.middlesexsheriff.org/ypsa.(NOTE: The above press release is from the Middlesex Sheriff’s Office.)Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email wilmingtonapple@gmail.com.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedAttorney General Awards Middlesex Sheriff’s Office A Healthy Summer Youth Jobs GrantIn “Police Log”51 Wilmington Students Graduate From Middlesex Sheriff’s Youth Public Safety AcademyIn “Government”Middlesex Sheriff’s Office Awarded State Grant To Help Support Youth Public Safety AcademyIn “Police Log”last_img read more

Memories of home

first_imgRedefining the idea of home when all is lost and when borders are etched between lands and people, this is what Sheba Remy Kharbanda and William Charles Moss’s documentary is all about. To be screened from 14 to 21 November in India Habitat Centre, Five Rivers: A Portrait of Partition is  a documentary in Cyclorama featuring a video art installation by these multi-disciplinary artists.  The documentary illustrates the intimate complexities of ‘home’. Staged inside a traditional Indian wedding tent, this cycloramic screening marries culture-bridging conventions of storytelling to the stimulation of a sculptural installation. Also Read – ‘Playing Jojo was emotionally exhausting’Projected footage occupies conducting a blend  of five synchronized films that craft the narrative of Amrik Singh, a Punjabi/Afghani Sikh who at age nine left his childhood home to migrate alongside millions across the Indian Subcontinent in the months preceding the Partition of India in 1947. Singh’s introspective recollections carry an  invitation for participants to trace his turbulent journey to redefine home across the sudden and stark borders created by the establishment of Pakistan and India as independent states. Also Read – Leslie doing new comedy special with NetflixClearly visible on the white textile of the tent from both inside and outside the structure, these  interviews, landscapes, and historical documentation are fostered by a pervasive soundtrack of contemporary punjabi and urdu poetry, testimony, and speeches that imbibe the space with a strong sense of the memory.The artiste, Sheba Remy Kharbanda is a metaphysician, filmmaker and storyteller born in London to immigrants from the Punjabi. In 2005, she launched the Foreign Land Project, a documentary film and online oral history archive that chronicles the stories of elder women from the Punjab, who, after partition of India, left for England in search of work and a new home. In May, 2014, her essay entitled, A Lesson in Love was published in the anthology, Her Name Is Kaur: Sikh American Women Write about Love, Courage, and Faith. With Five Rivers, Kharbanda seeks to weave threads through questions of identity, displacement and memory – questions she continues to grapple with and which she feels are her ancestral inheritance.William Charles Moss is a photographer and cinematographer who began in the feature film industry almost twenty years ago, before discovering the world of documentary film, which has since become his passion. Together with Kharbanda, he runs Callejero Films, a Brooklyn-based video production company. When: 14-21? NovWhere: India Habitat Centre Timing: 5.30 pm onwardslast_img read more

India Sothebys International Realty expands its horizons

first_imgIndia Sotheby’s International Realty announced their entry into the eastern Indian market with the opening of their new office in Kolkata, recently. With this latest addition, the company now has a total of three offices including that in New Delhi and Mumbai, and further is in the process of opening of three or four more offices in 2019 across India. Additionally, the company also manages the Sri Lanka operations for the ultra-prestige residential development ‘Sapphire Residences’ by ITC Hotels. Also Read – Add new books to your shelfCommenting on the expansion plan of the comapny, Amit Goyal, CEO, India Sotheby’s International Realty said, “We are thrilled to expand our presence across the country, with the opening of our third office in Kolkata. This city is full of some the most exclusive and breath-taking properties that cover the length and breadth of the evolution of Indian architecture. And, we are looking forward to represent local clients and investors by offering them high-end luxury real estate solutions.” Also Read – Over 2 hours screen time daily will make your kids impulsiveSituated in one of Kolkata’s prime location, Salt Lake City – the Kolkata office is spread across 2800 square feet, and comprises of eight highly experienced professionals. The team which comes with people having decades of experience in various fields, is led by Udayendu Dass, who has over 34 years of experience in Ultra HNI Business Banking, Financial Services Advisory, Lifestyle Business, Telecom and Exports. The Kolkata office will comprise of some very exerienced people like Avijeet Das, Shivani Kapur, Vikram Kapoor, Sujit Kumar Ghosh, among others – who come with a varied experience across sectors such as Tourism and Hospitality, Real Estate, Banking, FMCG, and Business Management. The venture in Kolkata will be catering to the burgeoning real estate requirement across Eastern India, with a focused view to bring the best realty options to our global audiences. According to the Director International, Akash Puri, the Kolkata office will also help clients in buying a home in preferred overseas destinations like UK, Dubai, USA, Italy through the global network.last_img read more

iPhone Software Glitch Puts Users at Risk for Scams

first_img Growing a business sometimes requires thinking outside the box. The flaw was first noted by a security researcher who blogs under the name “pod2g.” “The flaw (has) exist(ed) since the beginning of the implementation of SMS (text messages) in the iPhone, and is still there …” the researcher wrote.Related: Keeping Passwords Out of the Hands of HackersApple, meanwhile, urges customers to “be extremely careful” when receiving text messages, and recommends using its iMessage instant messaging service instead because it verifies the addresses of senders.With business owners becoming increasingly dependent on their mobile devices for business communications, iPhone users should be on the lookout for any type of messages, including text, email, and messages over social media networks, that contain suspicious links or ask for personal information. Even if a link appears to be sent from someone you know, if it doesn’t immediately appear legit, don’t click on it. Contact the sender to find out what it is.In addition to malicious links, some scammers will try “phishing,” which involves phony texts or emails that appear to have come from your bank asking to verify business or personal account numbers and passwords. If you receive a potentially suspicious message like this, contact your bank directly to alert them about it. While the message could be real, it might also be a sign that you’ve been hit by a scam. Related: How to Avoid One of the Biggest Email Hacking Threats Register Now » Free Webinar | Sept. 9: The Entrepreneur’s Playbook for Going Global ShutterstockThe software that powers Apple’s popular iPhones may have a flaw that enables scammers to send users bogus messages asking for banking and other personal information.The software glitch is said to allow scammers to send messages from impersonated accounts specifically to iPhone users. Because iPhones only display the “reply to” address of incoming text messages, iPhone users can potentially receive messages that look as though they’re from friends or other trusted sources but are actually fraudulent, asking you to share passwords or to wire money. min read August 20, 2012last_img read more

Man arrested after woman sexually assaulted on train in Staffordshire

first_imgGet the biggest Daily stories by emailSubscribeSee our privacy noticeThank you for subscribingSee our privacy noticeCould not subscribe, try again laterInvalid EmailA 30-year-old man has been arrested after a woman was sexually assaulted on a train in Staffordshire. British Transport Police issued an appeal in March after the woman was targeted on the railway between Stafford and Nuneaton on March 1. Today (April 1), police confirmed a man from Stafford had been arrested and continued to urge anyone with information to get in touch. A British Transport Police spokeswoman said:  “Officers investigating a sexual assault on board a train between Stafford and Nuneaton have made an arrest in connection.  “The incident was reported to British Transport Police on March 1. “A 30-year-old man from Stafford has now been arrested on suspicion of sexual assault by touching. He has since been bailed pending further enquiries and police investigation.  “Officers continue to ask for witnesses to contact BTP by texting 61016 or calling 0800 40 50 40 quoting reference 547 of 01/03/19.” Read MoreTop stories on StokeonTrentLive Dad slams ‘disgusting’ hospital window Police search for missing woman Want to tell us about something going on where you live? Let us know – Tweet us   @SOTLive   or message us on   our Facebook page . And if you have pictures to share, tag us on Instagram at   StokeonTrentLive  .center_img Driver named following fatal collision Punter found hiding in bushes last_img read more