Hours after a controversy broke out when Trinamool Congress (TMC) Minister Arup Biswas used a red beacon on his vehicle, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee said on Monday that he had “not done anything wrong” as the State government is yet to pass any law in this regard.Earlier in the day, Mr. Biswas was seen using a red beacon on his vehicle in the Darjeeling district. The Centre from May 1 has banned the use of a red beacon on any vehicle.“Arup Biswas has not done anything wrong. We are yet to pass any law [regarding the use of a red beacon],” Ms. Banerjee told journalists at Nabanna, the State secretariat. She further accused the Centre of “imposing” restrictions on the use of a red beacon, which comes under the Concurrent List. “We have written to the Centre in this regard but are yet to receive any response,” said Ms. Banerjee.Pointing out that she does not use a red beacon on her vehicle in Kolkata and adjoining areas, Ms. Banerjee argued that the State’s ministers and bureaucrats have to use the red beacon while travelling on National Highways because of security reasons. “Earlier, it sufficed to have a red beacon but now, as a result of the Centre’s decision, an escort vehicle along with security personnel will be required. This will increase the government’s expenditure,” the Chief Minister said.‘No consultation’She further criticised the Centre for neither discussing the matter with State governments nor giving them any time to figure out an alternative to the red beacon. “The order [banning the red beacon] was passed without any hearing [consultation with State governments],” said Ms. Banerjee.Earlier in the day, Mr. Biswas said that the “State government has not banned it [red beacon on vehicles].”In April, the Centre announced that Prime Minister Narendra Modi had decided to scrap a rule that allowed the Central and State governments to select dignitaries who would be allowed to use a red beacon to on their vehicles. The authority of the State governments to decide who could use flashing blue lights on their vehicles was also taken away.
Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City LATEST STORIES FILE PHOTO. Fiba.comHaving been dropped from consideration for the second window of the 2019 Fiba World Cup Asian qualifiers last month, Calvin Abueva managed to make the cut for the Gilas Pilipinas pool which will fly to Melbourne on Monday.National team coach Chot Reyes announced his 14-man pool for the February 22 game against Australia on his Twitter account on Sunday night.ADVERTISEMENT Read Next NEXT BLOCK ASIA 2.0 introduces GURUS AWARDS to recognize and reward industry influencers Globe Business launches leading cloud-enabled and hardware-agnostic conferencing platform in PH Fil-American big man and “23-for-23” cadet member Abu Tratter will also join the Philippine team, which is missing key big men due to injuries.Reyes explained that Troy Rosario hasn’t gotten his medical clearance yet after his bad fall in TNT’s game against Phoenix on February 7, while Mac Belo is still not at 100 percent after recently recovering from his left knee injury.After Australia, Gilas goes home to take on Japan on February 25 at Mall of Asia Arena.ADVERTISEMENT 2 ‘newbie’ drug pushers fall in Lucena sting MOST READ John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH Slow and steady hope for near-extinct Bangladesh tortoises Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. AFP official booed out of forum Ballesteros steps up, Meralco stays alive with upset win over Ginebra READ: Chot drops ‘disinterested’ Abueva, Almazan for 2nd leg“Finally got the go-signal to announce Gilas entourage leaving tomorrow (Monday),” Reyes wrote.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSLillard, Anthony lead Blazers over ThunderSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutNaturalized player Andray Blatche, chief point guard Jayson Castro, and four-time PBA MVP June Mar Fajardo lead the Philippine delegation as they visit the Boomers for their first duel in Group B action.Also part of the squad are Gabe Norwood, Japeth Aguilar, Allein Maliksi, Kevin Alas, RR Pogoy, Matthew Wright, Jio Jalalon, Carl Bryan Cruz, and Kiefer Ravena. View comments
[photo by Scott Riley] February 2, 2015Here are a few photos of some of the sights of the entrance to last weekends SuperBowl in Glendale, AZ.More to come.[photo by Mary Hoadley] [photo by Phoenix photographer Dennis Scully] [photo by Phoenix photographer Dennis Scully]
Seventy-seven per cent of content broadcast by Russia’s leading TV channels is of Russian origin, with only 6% coming from Europe, according to the latest report from the European Audiovisual Observatory.There are currently 60 different video-on-demand services operating in Russia, according to the TV Market and Video on Demand in the Russian Federation report, 45% of which deal only with Russian content.TV channels with Federal coverage, including Channel One, Russia 1, Russia 2, Russia 24, Russia K, NTV, Petersburg – Channel 5, TVC, CTC, Peretz, Domashniy, U, Disney Channel, TV3, MTV, TNT, REN TV, Mir, Zvezda, 2×2 and RBC TV, regularly reach 90% of Russian viewers.Just over half of VoD services included both national and foreign content. Smart TV is one of the fastest growing distribution platforms, with 50% of all applications offered by smart TV stores being Russian-speaking.Only 11% of international content on Russian channels in 2012 was premiere content, compared with 43% of national content.Among leading channels, CTC was the leading distributor of premiere foreign content in 2012, accounting for 32% of the total, followed by TNT with 29% and Ren TV with 15%.In two areas – feature films and animation – international content accounted for the majority of content on air – 83% in the case of films and 83.4% in the case of animated films and serials.Fully 99.8% of entertainment programming in 2012 was Russian, as was 96.2% of documentaries and 85.8% of TV series and TV films.The US accounted for 71% of international content, followed the UK with 6% and France with 5%.
BT continued to generate the highest volume of complaints about pay TV services to UK regulator Ofcom in the first quarter of this year, with 0.15 complaints per 1,000 customers.TalkTalk generated the second highest volume of complaints, with 0.12 per 1,000, an increase since the fourth quarter of last year.Cable operator Virgin Media generated an average number of complaints for the industry, with 0.04 per 1,000, while Sky imporved its performance to as few as 0.01 complaints per 1,000 customers.In broadband, EE generated the highest number of complaints – 0.51 per 1,000 – an increase in the number of complaints quarter-on-quarter and the highest level since the first quarter of 2013.BT, Plusnet and TalkTalk generated above average levels of complaits for the period, while Virgin Media generated a small but growing number of complaints at 0.06 per 1,000. Sky delivered the best performance, with 0.05 complaints per 1,000 customers.