Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City LATEST STORIES FILE PHOTO. Fiba.comHaving been dropped from consideration for the second window of the 2019 Fiba World Cup Asian qualifiers last month, Calvin Abueva managed to make the cut for the Gilas Pilipinas pool which will fly to Melbourne on Monday.National team coach Chot Reyes announced his 14-man pool for the February 22 game against Australia on his Twitter account on Sunday night.ADVERTISEMENT Read Next NEXT BLOCK ASIA 2.0 introduces GURUS AWARDS to recognize and reward industry influencers Globe Business launches leading cloud-enabled and hardware-agnostic conferencing platform in PH Fil-American big man and “23-for-23” cadet member Abu Tratter will also join the Philippine team, which is missing key big men due to injuries.Reyes explained that Troy Rosario hasn’t gotten his medical clearance yet after his bad fall in TNT’s game against Phoenix on February 7, while Mac Belo is still not at 100 percent after recently recovering from his left knee injury.After Australia, Gilas goes home to take on Japan on February 25 at Mall of Asia Arena.ADVERTISEMENT 2 ‘newbie’ drug pushers fall in Lucena sting MOST READ John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH Slow and steady hope for near-extinct Bangladesh tortoises Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. AFP official booed out of forum Ballesteros steps up, Meralco stays alive with upset win over Ginebra READ: Chot drops ‘disinterested’ Abueva, Almazan for 2nd leg“Finally got the go-signal to announce Gilas entourage leaving tomorrow (Monday),” Reyes wrote.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSLillard, Anthony lead Blazers over ThunderSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutNaturalized player Andray Blatche, chief point guard Jayson Castro, and four-time PBA MVP June Mar Fajardo lead the Philippine delegation as they visit the Boomers for their first duel in Group B action.Also part of the squad are Gabe Norwood, Japeth Aguilar, Allein Maliksi, Kevin Alas, RR Pogoy, Matthew Wright, Jio Jalalon, Carl Bryan Cruz, and Kiefer Ravena. View comments
Taro Daniel, a lucky loser from qualifying, will take Nadal’s place in the Brisbane International draw and will play Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in the second round.The Australian Open, the first Grand Slam tournament of the year, starts Jan. 14 at Melbourne Park. Nadal had to retire in the fifth set of his quarterfinal match against Marin Cilic at last year’s Australian Open and he said earlier this week that he is changing his approach this season.Despite the retirements that bookended his 2018 season, Nadal finished with a 45-4 win-loss record and won five of the nine tournaments he entered, including the French Open.With that kind of success, he said, he decided to focus on quality performances rather than quantity of matches and that means not playing with niggling injuries.“(In the past) I felt that I needed matches and time to be ready to compete at a good level,” he said, but that’s “not the situation today.”ADVERTISEMENT SEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completion Is Luis Manzano planning to propose to Jessy Mendiola? “I showed myself that I can be playing very well without competing for a while. And I’m going to work as hard as I can, and I’m going to play and practice with the highest tactical possible to be 100 percent ready for Melbourne. For me it’s a big goal to be ready for there and I’m going to fight for it.”And that means he plans to go into the first major of the year with only one exhibition match and a Fast4 appearance on top of his training program.“It’s a waste to damage my body for one month if I keep playing here,” said Nadal, who has spent lengthy periods on the sidelines because of injuries during his career. “After all the things that happened to me, probably I am not ready to assume that waste.”Nadal said he had been able to practice confidently since ankle surgery at the start of November, and felt better now than he did at this time last year when he had less time to prepare and was coming off a longer injury-enforced break.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next MOST READ PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games PLAY LIST 02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss SEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completion LATEST STORIES TS Kammuri to enter PAR possibly a day after SEA Games opening BREAKING: Corrections officer shot dead in front of Bilibid Shinya Aoki excited to fight for ONE lightweight belt vs Eduard Folayang in hometown Japan Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting Raphael Nadal of Spain announces that he is pulling out of the tournament due to injury at the Brisbane International tennis tournament in Brisbane, Australia, Wednesday, Jan. 2, 2019. (AP Photo/Tertius Pickard)BRISBANE, Australia — Rafael Nadal pulled out of the Brisbane International on Wednesday to focus on being ready for the Australian Open, which will be his first competitive tournament since a knee injury forced him to retire from the U.S. Open semifinals in September.The second-ranked Nadal, who cited a strained muscle in his left thigh for his withdrawal, still thinks he can add to his 17 major titles by the end of the month.ADVERTISEMENT “My hope is to win the Australian Open,” he said. “And being honest, I feel myself playing well. I feel myself playing at a good level of tennis. And I feel myself with very high motivation to compete and to play.”Nadal had an MRI and said medical experts in Australia and Spain told him that playing competitively this week would heighten his risk of a more serious injury.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSUrgent reply from Philippine football chiefSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completion“I tried to play and I still wanted to play but the two doctors from here and the doctors from my confederation in Spain tell me … if I play here, there is a risk to don’t have the chance to play Melbourne,” Nadal said. “Everybody is telling me that it’s not a good idea to increase the possibility to make the strain a bigger problem.“I feel that I can give a good level of tennis, but I can’t do my 100 percent. So if I don’t play here, I probably secure that I’m going to be 100 percent ready for Melbourne.” LOOK: Joyce Pring goes public with engagement to Juancho Triviño Hotel management clarifies SEAG footballers’ kikiam breakfast issue View comments
Winners of the competitions will be provided with prizes through Dolphin Cove, Kirk Distributors, the Youth Link, Jamaica Biscuit Company, Wisynco, and Adam and Eve Day Spa. Entry for the Scientific Research Council’s (SRC) Science and Technology Month Performing Arts and Poster competitions is now open and will close on November 30. Story Highlights The Coordinator indicated that entries for these competitions were closed from mid-October, and that the top-six entrants for the Oratory from each region – Central, Western and Eastern – will showcase their entries at the semi-finals that will be held in November. Entry for the Scientific Research Council’s (SRC) Science and Technology Month Performing Arts and Poster competitions is now open and will close on November 30.Coordinator for the Science and Technology Education Unit at the SRC, Amanda McKenzie, told JIS News that the competitions, which are part of the Science and Technology Month of activities being undertaken by the Council, aim to increase students’ awareness, understanding and appreciation for Science and Technology.Other competitions being spearheaded by the Council during the month include Essay competitions and Oratory competitions.The Coordinator indicated that entries for these competitions were closed from mid-October, and that the top-six entrants for the Oratory from each region – Central, Western and Eastern – will showcase their entries at the semi-finals that will be held in November.These will be held in Montego Bay on November 16; in Mandeville, November 23 and Kingston, November 30.For the Essay Competition, the Coordinator explained that entrants will need to focus on two key topics – ‘How we as Jamaicans utilise our waterways and how we can prevent the pollution of the ecosystem from human and non-human influences’ and ‘How persons can utilise Jamaica’s indigenous knowledge to impact our economy’.All the competitions are open to students at the primary and secondary levels, except for the Performing Arts competition, which is only open to secondary-level students.All finals for the competitions will be held in February 2018 at the SRC’s ‘Science in the Gardens’ event.She explained that the competitions have helped in student development. “Over the years, we have seen that participation, particularly in the Oratory component, has significantly helped students, especially as they move on to the tertiary level, and they have also gone on to become good public speakers, even winning regional competitions,” Ms. McKenzie said.She also noted that the competitions assist in training the students in explaining scientific information to an audience in the most basic way.In the meantime, Ms. McKenzie said that the Oratory and Essay competitions this year are part of the Jamaica-South Africa bilateral cooperation building youth engagement arrangement, “which is seeking to get persons involved in the conversation of how it is that as a nation we can target socio-economic development by looking at indigenous knowledge”.“In Jamaica, a lot of people are familiar with the use of folklore in medicine. We now want to harness all that information as a nation, to develop jobs and new products, as there is a new thrust to use these in the pharmaceutical as well as the nutraceutical industries,” she said.Winners of the competitions will be provided with prizes through Dolphin Cove, Kirk Distributors, the Youth Link, Jamaica Biscuit Company, Wisynco, and Adam and Eve Day Spa.Additionally, winners (students and teachers) will receive trophies, certificates of participation, book vouchers and gift certificates.Entries for the competitions must be submitted using the guidelines and registration form, which can be found at www.src-jamaica.org., and should be sent to the Scientific Research Council c/o the Science and Technology Unit, P.O. Box 350, Hope Gardens Complex, Kingston 6.