22 August 2013 South Africa’s third 24-hour news channel, Africa News Network 7 (ANN7), went live on DStv channel 405 on Wednesday. This follows the launch of the South African Broadcasting Corporation’s (SABC’s) own 24-hour news channel on DStv channel 404 earlier this month. DStv, Multichoice’s multi-channel African digital satellite service, also hosts etv’s eNCA, CNBC Africa and BDTV. ANN7, which is funded by the Infinity Media consortium, was launched by The New Age Media in Sandton. The new station, boasting a strong complement of 150 journalists, is headquartered at Midrand, Johannesburg. The channel’s presenters include former cabinet spokesperson Jimmy Manyi, who will host a weekly talk show “Straight Talk”, and businesswoman Gerry Rantseli-Elsdon, who will host “Vuka Africa”. Kwaito artist Arthur Mafokate will host a weekly sport show called “Hola Weekend”. According to a media statement on the news channel’s website, it will focus on “constructive, nation-building stories in the interests of building a culture of unity and pride in South Africa”. ANN7 editor-in-chief Moegsien Williams told Business Day that the channel was ready “to bring the story as it happens with depth and perspective. “We want to bring a balanced discourse from all from all sides of the story, expose corruption and maladministration where we find it, and highlight stories that affect the ordinary man,” Williams said. The government has welcomed the channel as a boost for media diversity in South Africa. Phumla Williams, the acting CEO of the Government Communication and Information System (GCIS), said it would “contribute immensely to South Africa’s dynamic media industry,” providing a platform for further shaping public discourse on pertinent matters. SAnews.gov.za, with additional reporting by SAinfo
TNT head coach Nash Racela cited his team’s poor endgame execution as the major reason for its heartbreaking loss to Phoenix on Wednesday night.The KaTropa were up by three with less than two minutes to go but were unable to protect their lead after going 0-of-3 from the field and failing to make defensive stops to finish the game.ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Globe Business launches leading cloud-enabled and hardware-agnostic conferencing platform in PH Read Next “We talked about execution in the end. On both ends, specifically on defense, we weren’t able to execute in the end,” said Racela after giving his players a long post-game talk inside the Mall of Asia Arena dugout following a 74-72 defeat.“I was asking them what went wrong. I just wanted to hear it from them. We showed them the clips of the last two possessions of Phoenix.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSLillard, Anthony lead Blazers over ThunderSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutRacela was pertaining to the instances where the Fuel Masters’ tied the game on a 3-pointer by Matthew Wright with 44.1 ticks left and got the lead for good after a baseline bucket by Doug Kramer with exactly three seconds remaining.With the loss, the KaTropa dropped to 4-4, tied with the Fuel Masters in fifth place. Racela, however, doesn’t seem worried with his team’s current position. LATEST STORIES Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH NEXT BLOCK ASIA 2.0 introduces GURUS AWARDS to recognize and reward industry influencers John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding View comments Slow and steady hope for near-extinct Bangladesh tortoises Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC “If you study our conferences last year, we were always in the middle of the pack, and we just made a good push toward the playoffs and in the playoffs, so it’s still the same plan,” he said.“Hopefully with what we have now, we can still have a good run towards the playoffs. It will be a tough last three games for us, especially with Gilas coming up. I think we’re going to miss the three guys in at least one game, so it would’ve been nicer if we won today.” Dani Ravena sees mistakes against NU as learning experience AFP official booed out of forum 2 ‘newbie’ drug pushers fall in Lucena sting Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City
Democratic leaders on Wednesday slammed the Republicans’ opening offer for a fiscal 2016 omnibus spending bill over more than 30 “poison pill” add-ons covering policy issues including the environment, financial regulations and Syrian refugees.“Their offer wasn’t real. We couldn’t accept it,” said Rep. Nita Lowey (N.Y.), the top Democrat on the Appropriations Committee.“When you’re working on a bill that, you know, we hope can pass the House and the Senate, you don’t send over an offer … that’s going nowhere,” Lowey said, reported the Hill.On Wednesday night, Democrats said they intended to respond to the GOP with a counteroffer shortly. The back-and-forth comes as lawmakers are trying to strike a deal over a $1.1 trillion spending package before the current continuing resolution expires Dec. 11. Even though topline spending levels were agreed to in October’s two-year budget deal, Congress still needs to come to terms over 12 separate spending titles, including any language affecting federal policy.The Republican’s initial offer, however, did not touch most of the thousands of smaller, line-by-line agreements on funding levels and bill language struck by appropriations staff in recent weeks, reported CQ.The process is typical of high-level discussions conducted under a looming deadline, although the negotiations usually take place hidden from public view. In fact, Democrats said they will not be releasing any details on their response.Examples of provisions rejected by the Democrats include one scaling back Wall Street reforms and another adding hurdles to the screening process for refugees fleeing violence in Syria and Iraq, according to the Hill.White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest echoed the concerns of congressional Democrats about the objectionable riders, and said Republicans are “whistling past the graveyard of a government shutdown.” Earnest specifically pointed to Republican language on financial and environmental regulations, reported CQ. Dan Cohen AUTHOR
FAIRFIELD, CT — Nicole Rosania, of Wilmington, recently received Dean’s List Honors for the Spring 2018 semester at Fairfield University.In order to be placed on the Dean’s List, students must have completed a minimum of 13 credit hours in a semester, have no outstanding or incomplete grades for that semester, and have attained a semester grade point average of 3.50 or better.(NOTE: The above announcement is from Fairfield University.)Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedSTUDENT SPOTLIGHT: Wilmington’s Nicole Rosania Named To Dean’s List At Fairfield UniversityIn “Education”Wilmington’s Rosania Named To Dean’s List At Fairfield UniversityIn “Education”STUDENT SPOTLIGHT: 3 Wilmington Students Named To Dean’s List At Regis CollegeIn “Education”
The idea of a bending, foldable smartphone display has been something the tech industry has been chasing for years, but none of the prototypes or wild concepts created in the pursuit of the flexible phone have made it to market. At least not until now. Shortly after Samsung showed off its latest bendable display prototype, Royole revealed the FlexPai, telling CNET in November that it wasn’t a concept. It wasn’t a prototype. It was a real phone that was already for sale in China. Now, that same device is making the rounds at CES 2019 — and while it wasn’t the first time the bendable phone has graced the pages of CNET, it was the first time our most destructive prone editor got their hands on it. So, after years of resisting the urge to snap my favorite tablet in half just to see if I could make it bend, I finally lived the dream. I folded the FlexPai in half. Quickly. Violently. It was immensely satisfying — and when I was done, the tablet was perfectly fine. Sarah Tew/CNET That, it seems, is half of the phone’s selling point. Yes, the FlexPai’s foldable display allows it to transform between phone and tablet form factors, but it also means that the device is less susceptible to screen damage. The flexible, plastic screen won’t crack or shatter in the way a glass display would, to the point that Royole calls it “virtually unbreakable.” That kind of durability is certainly appealing. Unfortunately, the phone experience isn’t.The Flexpai is technically an Android 9 device, but to make Google’s OS play nice with the phone’s unique display, Royole had bake in a some heavy tweaks. The resulting experience is called “Water OS,” named for the way icons seem to flow across the screen as it’s unfolded. At least, that’s how it’s supposed to work — in practice, the phone often glitched out and changed apps as I unfolded it, the result of the screen reading my fingers on the opposite side of the fold as I bent the device. On the other hand, there’s a true delight in the FlexPai’s namesake feature. The plastic that encases the phone feels a little cheap, but the gimmick itself doesn’t. The bright AMOLED display looks stunning no matter which way you bend it. All told, the world’s first flexible phone is a very mixed experience. There’s a cathartic joy in being able to bend the device any which way, but it feels like an incomplete experience. It’s not a prototype, but it doesn’t feel like a device that’s fully ready for market, either. That’s probably why Royole is only releasing it internationally as a $1,318 developer kit — hoping to attract developers interested in what might be the future of flagship smartphones. Tags All the cool new gadgets at CES 2019 See it Share your voice Sarah Tew/CNET Every time I pick up a new smartphone, tablet or gadget, I suddenly develop a mild case of sadism. “I bet I could snap this thing in half,” I think to myself. I never do, but that overwhelming urge to bend expensive technology in on itself never goes away. At CES 2019, I finally encountered a gadget that could bend to my destructive will: The Royole FlexPai. The world’s first foldable phone. 85 Photos CES 2019: Every story so far: See all of CNET’s coverage of the year’s biggest tech show.CES 2019 schedule: It’s six days of jam-packed events. Here’s what to expect. Google Samsung CES 2019 Now playing: Watch this: $1,318 Royole FlexPai 0 CNET may get a commission from retail offers. Post a comment Mentioned Above Royole FlexPai Phones Tablets 3:00 Preview • Royole FlexPai: First foldable phone beats Samsung to the punch Royole FlexPai, the world’s first foldable phone, bends…
Demonstrators hold EU and Union flags during an anti-Brexit protest opposite the Houses of Parliament in London, Britain on 17 December. Photo: ReutersThe British government on Tuesday said it was allocating two billion pounds ($2.5 billion) to fund Brexit and putting 3,500 troops on stand-by after ministers agreed to make no-deal planning “an operational priority”.The news came amid continued opposition to prime minister Theresa’s May draft divorce deal, just 14 weeks before the country leaves the EU.Following a meeting of her cabinet — the last before parliament breaks for Christmas and New Year — defence secretary Gavin Williamson said around 3,500 troops would be on stand-by to help deal with the “any contingencies” from a no-deal outcome.But Brexit secretary Steve Barclay said ministers still hoped to secure backing for May’s agreement in a House of Commons vote delayed until next month.He added that any responsible government would intensify preparations for the “default option” of leaving the European Union without a deal on 29 March next year.”We agreed that preparing for no deal will be an operational priority within government,” Barclay said. “But our overall priority remains to secure a deal.”He said departments would step up their advice to businesses on how best to prepare for the scenario, which many fear could be catastrophic for the British economy.Businesses will be provided with a 100-plus page online preparation pack and emails will be sent to 80,000 of those most likely to be impacted over the next few days, according to Downing Street.DivisionsFinance minister Philip Hammond insisted in a statement Tuesday that “the PM’s deal is the only way to deliver on the referendum while protecting jobs, businesses and prosperity”.The same government statement said that Hammond was making arrangements to ensure that government departments “can fund measures to address civil contingencies in a no deal scenario”.The Home Office, which will get the biggest share of the Brexit funding, will use it, among other things, “to increase Border Force capability with hundreds of new officers,” it said.May’s cabinet is divided between ministers who want the government to embrace a no-deal outcome and those who favour parliament having a final say in a series of votes on potential scenarios for Brexit.One option is the prime minister’s own Brexit deal, but that is hanging by a thread after she was forced to pull a vote on it last week in the face of huge opposition from within her own Conservative Party.Earlier Tuesday, Downing Street reportedly blocked opposition leader Jeremy Corbyn’s request Monday for a non-binding no-confidence motion in May.That had followed her telling MPs they will not get to vote on her deal this week, but would have to wait until the week beginning January 14.The delay prompted accusations that the prime minister is stalling to increase pressure on MPs to back her plan — and fresh calls for Labour to initiate a binding no-confidence vote against the whole government.However, such a move faces likely defeat after Conservative Brexit hardliners and the Democratic Unionist Party, which props up her government, both said they would back May.Running down the clockMay insisted Monday that she was continuing to seek “assurances” from the EU over elements of her plan, although EU officials said no meetings were planned.The postponed vote has left members of her own party and Labour opposition politicians infuriated.”The prime minister has cynically run down the clock, trying to manoeuvre parliament into a choice between two unacceptable outcomes” — her deal or no deal, Corbyn said.May is also facing calls for a second referendum to resolve the impasse, with dozens of MPs from all sides now supporting another plebiscite and reports that May’s officials are also considering the possibility.But the prime minister argued that this would betray the 2016 Brexit referendum result and undermine public confidence in politics.”Let us not break faith with the British people by trying to stage another referendum,” she told parliament on Monday.”Another vote… would do irreparable damage to the integrity of our politics,” May said, adding that it would also “likely leave us no further forward”.