Vocativ Eliminates Entire Editorial Staff

first_img Employees were notified Wednesday morning that the company has begun a pivot to “focus exclusively on video content,” a Vocativ spokesperson tells Folio: in a statement that bears a number of similarities to the one given by Time Inc. CEO Rich Battista following that company’s own round of layoffs yesterday. A Vocativ spokesperson provided Folio: the following statement: Vocativ, the four-year-old digital media brand that made a name for itself by “mining the deep web” for original storytelling, terminated its entire editorial staff today, Folio: has learned. — Joe Lemire (@LemireJoe) June 14, 2017 It’s not clear at this time exactly how many staffers were let go, but a Google Sheet shared on Twitter indicates at least 21 “free agents” following the staff cuts. “Since its founding in late 2013, Vocativ has pioneered a new form of digital journalism using our proprietary technology to tell award-winning stories across a range of formats including on our website, social media and television. As the industry evolves, we are undertaking a strategic shift to focus exclusively on video content that will be distributed via social media and other platforms. The tremendous success we’ve experienced since our launch in both long- and short-form video has positioned us well for this evolution.” Vocativ has terminated its editorial team, and I am a free agent, effective immediately. I’d love to write for all of you. Email in bio. Founded in 2013, Vocativ primarily differentiates itself from other outlets through its use of a proprietary platform known as Verne, which the company has said allows it to scour the web to uncover stories other news agencies overlook. Vocativ scored its first TV deal, with MSNBC, in 2014, followed by an eight-part series airing on Showtime, “Dark Web,” which premiered last year. Getting laid off today, worked with an amazing team at Vocativ but now owners are “pivoting” to all video — Jessica Leber (@jessleber) June 14, 2017 A lot of wonderful and talented people got laid off at Vocativ today. Here’s all their contact info. Hire them: https://t.co/oQMun8JLJg— Ryan Beckler (@RyanBeckler) June 14, 2017last_img read more

Behind the Latest Restructuring at Condé Nast

first_imgLast month, the company announced it was shuttering the print edition of Teen Vogue in order to invest in the brand’s growing digital presence, while also making reductions in the frequencies of several other titles. Meanwhile, it launched six new digital brands and recently unveiled an expanded 23 Stories’ Creative Group under creative director Dirk Standen, which the company says now caters to “more than a dozen big external clients” like 20th Century Fox and Lincoln.Per comScore data, the company hit a record 113 million web visitors across its portfolio in October, and in November topped one billion total video views across its own brands’ platforms, YouTube, and Facebook.“We are already seeing results within the sales division of a more unified approach to the market, and there is clear momentum heading into Q1 2018, pacing well ahead of last year at this time,” Blanchard adds.In a holiday note to staffers this week, CEO Bob Sauerberg pointed to the restructuring of Allure and Teen Vogue, the hiring of Radhika Jones as Graydon Carter’s successor at Vanity Fair, the launches of digital brands like them, and The New Yorker’s Pulitzer Prize, among several other things, as highlights of the year.“We make the best content in the world, and that is something that will never change,” Sauerberg wrote. “No matter what new platform, trend or app disrupts our industry next, it will be our content that matters the most.” Major changes are afoot at Condé Nast as the publisher continues to evolve its operations to meet changing demands from consumers and advertisers alike.Responding to a Sunday New York Post report that the company was “poised to take a scalpel to its corporate side” after losing $100 million this year, Condé Nast chief communications officer Cameron Blanchard tells Folio:, “We are going to … look at the corporate functions to make sure that these areas are best set up to support the new business and editorial structures we put in place over this past year.”Those new structures, which took shape through multiple reorganizations in late 2016 and early 2017, were primarily aimed at driving efficiency by increasing collaboration across departments.Where publishers were once responsible for individual brands, chief business officers now oversee multiple titles. A unified sales and marketing team, under the banner “Condé Nast One,” reports to chief revenue and marketing officer Pamela Drucker Mann. Fashion and beauty editors collaborate on content for brands across the company’s portfolio, and formerly disparate creative, copy, and research teams were merged to operate in a more cross-brand manner a little over a year ago.As with most media-company restructurings, those shifts were followed by multiple rounds of layoffs, and Blanchard acknowledges, “We will resource more heavily in the growth areas, which may result in some duplications in others,” but insists the changes are not a cost-cutting exercise, but a restructuring to support the aforementioned changes elsewhere within the company.A privately held company, Condé Nast does not publicly disclose its finances, but its moves over the past year indicate that its evolution is at least in large part aimed at cutting costs tied to print in order to further embrace new revenue from digital media, events, and its recently expanded creative services unit, 23 Stories, which acquired experiential agency Pop2Life in March and produced a two-day Teen Vogue Summit in Los Angeles earlier this month.last_img read more

Middlesex Sheriffs Office Receives State Grant For Popular Youth Summer Camp

first_imgCHELMSFORD, MA — The Middlesex Sheriff’s Office Youth Public Safety Academy (YPSA) will be able to expand its capacity by as many as 100 cadets this summer thanks to a $23,000 grant from the Executive Office of Public Safety and Security (EOPSS), Sheriff Peter J. Koutoujian announced on Wednesday.“Nearly 1,200 youngsters have applied to YPSA this year, and the continuing success of the camp comes from our terrific partnerships with our fellow law enforcement and government agencies,” said Sheriff Koutoujian. “Thanks to the Baker Administration and EOPSS, we will be able to hire two extra counselors and purchase the additional equipment necessary to accept 100 more cadets over the course of the summer. This grant will make a real difference in the lives of these youngsters who may not otherwise be able to attend YPSA.”This marks the second consecutive year the Middlesex Sheriff’s Office (MSO) has been awarded the grant through the Commonwealth’s Law Enforcement and Youth Partnerships Summer Day Program. The initiative, administered by EOPSS, is designed to support summer recreational and educational learning opportunities with local law enforcement.“We are honored to partner with the Middlesex Sheriff’s Office to allow more young people to take part in this valuable program,” said Secretary of Public Safety and Security Thomas Turco. “Creating strong, positive relationships between law enforcement and the community is a priority for us and one that is clearly shared by Sheriff Koutoujian and his team.”YPSA is a week-long camp designed for children ages 8-12 who live in Middlesex County. Cadets spend the week with MSO staff as well as police officers and firefighters from their hometown, forming important bonds with their local law enforcement officials. Cadets also participate in classroom and practical activities designed to teach them important public safety skills including a simulated fire safety trailer offered by the Massachusetts Department of Fire Services, a challenge course held at the Boys & Girls Club of Greater Billerica, and demonstrations offered by the MSO and partner agencies.The Academy is run at the MSO Training Academy in Chelmsford, with transportation, breakfast and lunch provided for each cadet. YPSA runs for six, one-week sessions each summer. Spots remain available for cadets in several communities including, but not limited to, Arlington, Bedford, Belmont, Cambridge, Hudson, Maynard, Natick, Newton, Waltham and Watertown. Families can register their children by going to https://www.middlesexsheriff.org/ypsa.(NOTE: The above press release is from the Middlesex Sheriff’s Office.)Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email wilmingtonapple@gmail.com.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedAttorney General Awards Middlesex Sheriff’s Office A Healthy Summer Youth Jobs GrantIn “Police Log”51 Wilmington Students Graduate From Middlesex Sheriff’s Youth Public Safety AcademyIn “Government”Middlesex Sheriff’s Office Awarded State Grant To Help Support Youth Public Safety AcademyIn “Police Log”last_img read more

KTM RC390 Spied Testing in India Again Launch Imminent

first_imgThe Austrian motorcycle maker KTM’s fully faired sports bike RC 390 emerged on the cyber space once again in fresh spy shots, suggesting the arrival of the RC series to India soon.RC 390, an exciting creation of KTM has been rumoured for India launch quite some time now. Although the exact launch date of the bike is not available yet, the repeated sightings of the bikes on the roads suggest that the launch is imminent. The latest images of the RC 390 come from the folks at Motoroids, which was been spied testing in Pune.The bike, which was first unveiled at the EICMA International Motorcycle Exhibition along with RC 200, is expected to make its India debut by mid-2014. KTM RC 390 draws its power from 375cc single-cylinder liquid-cooled engine, which can pump a power of 45 PS and a torque of 35Nm and is expected to carry fairing-mounted windshield and split seats. Though the details of the bike are scanty at this point of time, rumours are rife that RC390 would carry a price tag around ₹2.2 lakhs.Beside RC 390, KTM’s RC 200 has also been anticipated to reach Indian shores for a while now. The RC200 features a four-stroke, 200cc single-cylinder liquid-cooled engine, which produces 26 hp and is likely to offer at a price point of ₹1, 40,000 – ₹ 1, 55,000. Both the bikes are expected to be produced at the Bajaj’s Chakan plant in Maharashtra and the company is also looking to bring its Husqvarna motorbikes to the sub-continent two years from now.KTM will sell the bikes through its India partner Bajaj Auto, which currently markets KTM Duke 200 and Duke 390 in the country. Earlier in March, KTM slashed its bike prices in India up to ₹5,600. Photo credit: KTM/India(ED:AJ)last_img read more